Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds Max beta testers wanted

55 REPLIES 55
Message 1 of 56
Kelly_Michels
14008 Views, 55 Replies

3ds Max beta testers wanted

We are working on growing our 3ds Max Beta numbers and are in the process of recruiting new users. 

We are looking for active 3ds Max users that are helpful and able to contribute to the beta. If you would like to apply for the 3ds Max beta please email: me.beta.max@autodesk.com. 

Please include a very brief bio and any links to work samples as this is not an open beta call and available positions are limited. We will request that you complete a quick survey and the 3ds Max product designers will review the survey results for potential users and we will follow up with you directly. 

If anyone has any questions or feedback feel free to email me directly at: kelly.michels@autodesk.com

Kelly Michels
3ds Max Senior QA
3ds Max Feedback Community Manager
ECP Division Feedback Community Administrator
kelly.michels@autodesk.com
55 REPLIES 55
Message 21 of 56
Kelly_Michels
in reply to: AJ104

@AJ104 wrote:

I emailed the address provided, and I never received a reply.

AJ104

I see I did respond already...

Kelly Michels
3ds Max Senior QA
Message 22 of 56
Kelly_Michels
in reply to: jibijib

@jibijib wrote:

"We have an excellent group of beta testers, some of the best in the industry."

I really beg to differ. There have been glaringly obvious bugs in all versions of Max that would've got me sacked or severely reprimanded in my days in QA.

Hopefully, recruiting beta testers will help you out to get rid of those bugs that have helped add 10 years onto me.

I can send you the list of quite severe bugs I have found after using 2017 for one week if you want?

If you can please email me directly and I will see if any of your issues are already logged and if not then lets get them entered.

We do have a lot of top industry beta members and they have contributed greatly to the beta.  If you are interested in being part of the beta please let me know.

Thank you,

Kelly Michels
3ds Max Senior QA
Message 23 of 56
archicgisol
in reply to: Kelly_Michels

Good recommendations!

http://archicgi.com/
Message 24 of 56

hi @Kelly_Michels I can take part in the testing process.

Forumlarımızda çözülen sorularınızı "ÇÖZÜM OLARAK KABUL ET" seçimiyle işaretlemeyi lütfen unutmayın.

Beğendiğiniz mesajları lütfen "Övgü Puanı" ile ödüllendirin.

3D Generalist |Serdar Hakan.NET | Serdar Hakan AKADEMİ |

serdarhakanakademi
Message 25 of 56
3dms

I would like to be a beta tester, and i would like to participate improving your software and help your dev team make MAX more stable.

I work  with autodesk tools since 3ds4 ... lol

Message 26 of 56
wavestone

Hi Kelly,

did you get my mail? I sent it from my private mailaccount (wavestone@...), but did not get a respond yet.

Thanks,

Martin

Message 27 of 56
Kelly_Michels
in reply to: wavestone

@wavestone wrote:

Hi Kelly,

did you get my mail? I sent it from my private mailaccount (wavestone@...), but did not get a respond yet.

Thanks,

Martin

Yes Martin, I was a little delayed due to the holidays. Invite sent!

Kelly Michels
3ds Max Senior QA
Message 28 of 56
kolobrzeg

jibijib wrote:

"We have an excellent group of beta testers, some of the best in the industry."

I really beg to differ. There have been glaringly obvious bugs in all versions of Max that would've got me sacked or severely reprimanded in my days in QA.

I agree 100% - what do you need the beta testers for if there are the same bugs present for years ? and concerning that, your claim about "best beta testers" is just ridiculous - at the verge of being INSOLENT. i was going to leave it as it is but when stumbled upon that phrase I just had to write it. let me make a list for ya real quick:

- disappearing vertex markers at random (max 2016) - reseting max always helps, no service pack helped for that issue

- lagging interface - for example when switching between verts/edges/polygons/etc. - and program doesn't behave that way on the beginning (max 2015, 2016, 2017...) - still, no solution

- noisy shadows in "realistic" mode - this i actually thought was the fault of my GTX 660TI but realized that it's just your fault since most of the tutorials i've been watching from 2014-2016 era portrayed that issue (max 201X - 2016)

- after loading keyboard layouts or setting new shortcuts max tends to forget them at the next start. i found it's the best to set the shortcut that you want, create a box, fiddle with it for a second, save the scene and PRAY the shortcuts are there after second lunch (max 20XX)

- service packs take so much time to be installed it's unbelievable (max 20XX)

- zoom extents in sub-selection mode (verts/edges) results in moving the camera quite far away from the object - it should either zoom to the given vertex and the small space around it or work like zoom extents when object is selected without and sub-selection made (max 20XX-2017)

- qucikSlice doesn't work when edit poly modifier is applied - i always must colapse the stack in order to slice the object (max 20XX-2017)

this is just from the top of my head.

why most of the posts are ending with "maybe next service pack will fix the issue" or "let's hope they will fix it soon" ? do you want me to give you examples of your incompetence in a form of forum links ? "best testers" ? maybe not so best programmers ?

Message 29 of 56
Swordslayer
in reply to: kolobrzeg

There are really some great beta testers among those who didn't give up yet. It's just that sometimes it feels like playing the lottery when it comes to bugs that get fixed. You see, I share your sentiment - over the years, I've learned not to use specific functions and work around risky stuff in max. I don't use the Cut tool because it used to lead to so many crashes in max 2012; I don't use Perspective as it made several other things not work or not work as expected in 2012, 2015 and once again in 2016 and 2017 (reported, of course); I avoid edit poly modifier at all costs and collapse it as soon as I can as it used to change indexing and break mesh when opened on different computers or even later on on the same computer, it's slow and some functions either don't work or work in a different way than in editable poly; I avoid multiple non-undoable operations like ResetXForm (using align+attach instead whenever I can); I don't use the selection set manager and use hand-written snippets of mxs instead (while uncomfortable, it works); when using multiple background references at once, I make them all the same size filling empty space with gray, just so that I don't have to reassign the bitmaps everytime I maximize and minimize a viewport and they all get weirdly scaled... and you know what, I'm blissfully unaware of most of the workarounds as I'm using many of them multiple years and I don't treat them as workarounds anymore... There are a few new commands I'm avoiding in the latest beta, because they either lead to a higher probability of imminent crash or break a workflow I'm used to, and some new workarounds around other issues, all of them are logged and I wish the worst ones will get fixed. Some of them are easily reproducible, logged and still stay in the software, some of them exhibit themselves only after a few hours of work, always with the same operation but due to not being easily reproducible (and maybe depend on other factors as well) they may receive 'No fix required'. Yeah, there are indeed some of the best guys in the industry present among the beta testers. Sometimes it makes a difference, sometimes... not so much.

Anyway, be sure to report those defects via the bug report form (except for 'noisy shadows', that's just AO set to low quality).

Message 30 of 56
tadopemu
in reply to: Swordslayer

Haha, this is very amusing.

the "best beta testers" comment has sparked the fury of a thousand pissed off max users over the ages.

scorned by their crashing and tweaking software that they've had to put up with.

To be honest though. Lets be fair. Max is a GIGANTIC software package with an almost infinite collection of 

top of the line tools.  And it grows bigger with every iteration. 
Perhaps their beta testers ARE good. And the software would be practically unusable without them?
Perhaps they are fighting the good fight against a wave of bugs that would be unimaginable if they weren't there?

At any rate. We all know max has its glitches. But We also know that the program greatly overshadows those

problems with its resounding prowess.

Message 31 of 56
kolobrzeg

thanks @Swordslayer for your input - that is really unbelivable you must do so many workarounds - i also have few of my own. as for the editpoly i like to use several of them just to test out some "moves" if you catch my drift. it lets me revert to the many different steps very fast - although the f quickSlice doesn not work - i could use Cut - true to that but i rather use quickSlice - it's there for me to use it, isn't it ? 🙂

as for the AO i would have to check that, thanks, 2017 doesn't have that issue though from what i've observed so far - i remember tinkering with the setup and setting everything to max with no luck, obviously have omitted the correct option (but autodesk - why do someone need those crappy noisy shadows anyways ? why don't you set the correct AO value by default ?)

i have found few more bugs as i was modelling - and btw 2017 got really laggy now - what a disaster! it would seem i should stick to 2011 or older. less functionality in comparison to 2014+ but less headaches as well.

@tadopemu

"And the software would be practically unusable without them?" - haha, maybe 🙂 i will bring the copy of my clean windows from ghost image and i'll see if there is any difference. i have started to learn Houdini as well just as a backup solution.

@autodesk

pls stop making the software gradually worse but with more options - people would really appreciate when all the common issues would get resolved. maybe programmers should sit and model for a while with laggy interface ? with tools not working ? maybe that would give them some motivation. and why have you ceased developing the drivers with nVidia ? have they also had enough of your bull**** ? haha

Message 32 of 56

Hi everyone

I use 3ds since 3D Studio R4 - MS DOS and i like so much this application. But now the reality to me is Maya. Maya is a complete tool and 3ds Max (i love) is deprecated 😞

Biped, Cat, Nurbs Tools, Video Post, Hair and Fur, Cloth + Garment, etc etc etc.... DEPRECATED!
Radiosity and Light Tracer - for what??? We have Vray, Mental Ray and now Arnold.

What is the future of 3ds Max Kelly? Discontinued? Union with maya and a new and modern tool?

Message 33 of 56
Swordslayer
in reply to: kolobrzeg

@kolobrzeg wrote:

thanks @Swordslayer for your input - that is really unbelivable you must do so many workarounds - i also have few of my own. as for the editpoly i like to use several of them just to test out some "moves" if you catch my drift. it lets me revert to the many different steps very fast - although the f quickSlice doesn not work - i could use Cut - true to that but i rather use quickSlice - it's there for me to use it, isn't it ? 🙂

I use quickSlice really often, too. Report that, please.

@kolobrzeg wrote:

as for the AO i would have to check that, thanks, 2017 doesn't have that issue though from what i've observed so far - i remember tinkering with the setup and setting everything to max with no luck, obviously have omitted the correct option (but autodesk - why do someone need those crappy noisy shadows anyways ? why don't you set the correct AO value by default ?)

Yeah it changed (and in fact, the settings are no more there in 2017, just like some of the gamma settings disappeared so that people don't tinker with it and get unexpected results). I use shaded mode instead of realistic anyway, so

@kolobrzeg wrote:

i have found few more bugs as i was modelling - and btw 2017 got really laggy now - what a disaster! it would seem i should stick to 2011 or older. less functionality in comparison to 2014+ but less headaches as well.

Report those, too. The more reports and more details, the bigger chance it will change. For me, the added functionality of the last few releases (2016+) became indispensable - for a while (say till max 2012) I acutally preferred max 9 (+Polyboost) for its unrivalled stability, but now I'm avoiding max 2016 whenever I can (although it's still the main tool in the office) and just save back to 2016 version.

@kolobrzeg wrote:

@tadopemu

"And the software would be practically unusable without them?" - haha, maybe 🙂 i will bring the copy of my clean windows from ghost image and i'll see if there is any difference. i have started to learn Houdini as well just as a backup solution.

We're getting way off topic here by the way...

Message 34 of 56
Kelly_Michels
in reply to: tadopemu

We have made some big strides in stability and performance with 3ds Max and we continue to do so. We look very closely at our CERs (Customer Error Reports) every release and work through the top issues.  This has been extremely helpful in stability as well.

As for our beta testers, we do have some top users from various studios and the 3ds Max community.  Many of these users have been instrumental in the beta process for a lot of software fixes.

If you have issues please log them on our defect submission form or contact me directly and I will work with you on finding a status and look into getting it to the team.

Bug Report Form 

Thank you for your feedback!

Kelly Michels
3ds Max Senior QA
Message 35 of 56
tadopemu
in reply to: marcelo.zacarias

@marcelo.zacarias wrote:

Hi everyone

I use 3ds since 3D Studio R4 - MS DOS and i like so much this application. But now the reality to me is Maya. Maya is a complete tool and 3ds Max (i love) is deprecated 😞

Biped, Cat, Nurbs Tools, Video Post, Hair and Fur, Cloth + Garment, etc etc etc.... DEPRECATED!
Radiosity and Light Tracer - for what??? We have Vray, Mental Ray and now Arnold.

What is the future of 3ds Max Kelly? Discontinued? Union with maya and a new and modern tool?

I think what you are noticing is the fact that MAX tends to keep all its old features instead of removing them when it ads new features.

I don't think there is anything deprecated about Max. It has all the newest and greatest tools the industry has to offer. It only feels like it has old tools

because as it add to latest tools, it does not delete the old ones. 

Message 36 of 56

@marcelo.zacarias wrote:

Hi everyone

Maya certainly works really well as a part of a pipeline when you have custom plugins using is as the workhorse. That's also why you so often see older versions used in studios. Not sure if that's what I'd call more complete tool, though.

@marcelo.zacarias wrote:

AFAIK, Cloth + Garment are still 3rd party, the rest of the tools mentioned would need some call for action first. There are so many different tools in max and only a select number of them can be in focus. I'd suggest submitting a new idea at 3ds max Ideas, when it gets traction, it may change.

@marcelo.zacarias wrote:

And that's the same, for some, radiosity may be of a similar importance as Nurbs Tools for you. For example, I still use radiosity in an indirect way for viewpoint based adaptive subdivision (when you use a spotlight sharing the same cone as active camera for the sampling, the resulting mesh is perfect for that).

@marcelo.zacarias wrote:

It'd be easier to create a new application from scratch than merge those two 🙂 No, 3ds max is not going anywhere, due to its interoperability with other autodesk packages like inventor, revit or autoCAD, it's a part of a wide range of autodesk packages. Which is also the biggest reason you won't see a different schedule than these yearly releases because those packages would have to be late too in that case. Happened with maya (I think that's a part of one or two media&entertainment packages?) and customers were complaining a lot.

Message 37 of 56
kolobrzeg

@Anonymous-zacar

"3D Studio R4 - MS DOS" - much respect. Maya is nice but it also has it kinks 🙂 As for the union with Maya please note the inetrface of latest 2017 looks very similar to Maya 2016-2017 (in terms of shapes and overall style, not layout of course - although we're getting there slowly i think. i would really like to see some options from maya - "space" menu is awesome although i like the quad menu as well)

and i would LOVE to see the configs and plugin API organised the same way for max as for maya

@Swordsslayer

i also use only shaded when i want to check the geo and flat when i'm modelling. realsitic is not for me even with the best shadows. and yes, i shall report some of that stuff i've posted earlier. your argument about quantity of reports maybe making a difference is very good.

@AutoDeskand all of you guys

i've reoslved the issue with lagging interface. i have just removed some programs and cleansed the windows as much as i could. it is very strange though that due to that max got significantly worse while windows remained the same. (oh my sweat Lord, what a difference, but - how long will it last ? 🙂 )

my love for max is comming back but not for you autodesk! put more effort please - having top users at your disposal isn't enough - you also must be able to listen to them and understand them as well and you are lacking both from what i could see (using max from version 😎

Message 38 of 56
jackietsteh

Hi, i would like to become a tester too, but i don't know whether i am qualify or not? how to check it?

or could you please send me more info: jackietsteh@gmail.com

Thanks.

Best regards,
Jackie Teh
Portfolio: http://www.coroflot.com/jackieteh
Youtube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/user/jackieteh
Message 39 of 56
professor3d

Please include me in the beta testing.

Message 40 of 56

Hi

About the 'Deprecated 3ds Max' see below

Video Post
If it is important why this tool don´t receive an update since the last 10 years?

Physique (modifier)
Does anyone still uses this? All peoples and studios that i know uses the skin modifier!

Hair and Fur (modifier)
It's difficult to get the exact model you want and impossible to use in animations. If you use other tools like ornatrix ok but this is incomparable with Xgen.

Cloth (modifier)
did you tried to do cloth over the cloth with this? Extremely slow. The Ncloth in Maya you will play ease.

Unwrap UVW
Is a great tool and i worked a lot with this but.... someone used the Unfold 3D? Play ease

Scatter (Compound Objects)
I don´t remember when this tool receive an update. Forest Pack (Itoo Software) is perfect.
Itoo have the 'Glue' utility to align splines over a superficie and 3ds Max don´t have....

Other tools to think about
Atmospheric Apparatus
VRML 97
Ring Array
Biped
AEC Objects

I ask again. Where are the update on this tools if it realy are important?

3ds Max is great for games but unfortunately now i´m using Maya and Houdini Fx for VFX.
See and make little projects with this softwares and compare with 3ds Max. You will be sad Smiley Sad

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report