Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds Max 2021.1 Released

41 REPLIES 41
SOLVED
Message 1 of 42
shawnolson
3841 Views, 41 Replies

3ds Max 2021.1 Released

We are happy to share news that 3ds Max 2021.1 is now released. This update includes several enhancements to Bake to Texture, improved viewport quality, modeling enhancements (Shift + Drag to extrude or inset in editable poly), Slate Material Editor enhancements and much more. See more about how 3ds Max is evolving and improving.

41 REPLIES 41
Message 2 of 42
ACCCC
in reply to: shawnolson

Is it actually possible to just update the current installation of max? Or does 2021.1 require a complete reinstall? If so how does it handle preexisting settings, UI and plugins?

Also a cool feature for the Slate Material Editor would be a rename tool similar to the rename objects tool.

Message 3 of 42
Animare

Hi, 

This has seem to have broken all my plugins such as Vray and Ornatrix. When I go to try and uninstall the update, as shown in the guides by Autodesk, it does not seem that this update has been installed like the other updates as there is no option to uninstall it.

Can anyone confirm this, just want to find out if its just me and if I've done something wrong.

Thanks

Message 4 of 42
Nenad_Vacuum

I'm unable to install the update on any render node. The update is not even visible in my Autodesk account. Is there any offline installer/deployment for this update? I was able to install it on a workstation and it kept all my plugins/scripts/ui, but it won't install on any render node through the autodesk desktop app. I even tried to run the installer manually from the temp folder of the workstation where it worked, but the installer just hangs. 

Message 5 of 42
shawnolson
in reply to: ACCCC

The installation should keep all existing plugins and settings.

Please note that at this time the update is not appearing in online user accounts. You can only get it as of this moment through the Autodesk Desktop Application. We are trying to get this fixed and apologize for the inconvenience.

Also note that there is currently a quirk in the update installer that may not link your installation path to this update to the correct path. You may need to manually set the installation path to "C:\Program Files\Autodesk" to make sure it uses the correct location where your previous installations are. If your previous install of Max is inside that folder but you choose any other path, you may get broken plugins because of incorrect paths for existing plugins pointing to another path.

Message 6 of 42
Nenad_Vacuum

That doesn't solve the install error issue I'm having when trying to update from the Autodesk Desktop App.

Message 7 of 42
shawnolson
in reply to: Animare

I apologize for your issue. You may need to reinstall those plugins if you did not happen to install Max into the same location it was previously installed. This can happen because our installer does not currently automatically choose the same path as your current install (which by default is at "C:\Program Files\Autodesk").

Message 8 of 42
shawnolson
in reply to: Nenad_Vacuum

I am sorry for your installation issue. I'll forward your situation to our support team to see if there is a known solution at this time.

Message 9 of 42
Nenad_Vacuum

@shawnolson wrote:

I am sorry for your installation issue. I'll forward your situation to our support team to see if there is a known solution at this time.

I've managed to install the update on all render nodes. It was related to the AdskLicensingService being disabled in Windows  services. 

Message 10 of 42
Animare
in reply to: Nenad_Vacuum

I had to re-install everything, seems to be working fine now.

Message 11 of 42
porca_paletta

Is this update available for student accounts?

I don't see it in mine: the full installer is the same as first release, and it's not in my updates list.

Thank you

Message 12 of 42
DarrenP
in reply to: porca_paletta

this doesn't show up on your account right now

just through the desktop app only

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 13 of 42
porca_paletta
in reply to: DarrenP

Will it be this way from now on? Or is it just temporary? I don't use DesktopApp, never did.

Thanks

Message 14 of 42
shawnolson

This is a temporary issue. We will let you know when this is fixed in your account manager.

Message 15 of 42
porca_paletta

Thanks, I'll wait then

Message 16 of 42
shawnolson

Here is an article on installing 3ds Max 2021.1 with instructions on using the Autodesk Desktop Application or manual download instructions.

Message 17 of 42
short.cirkuit

Hi guys

updated my max 2021 to the latest update 2021.1 and when i went through the updater, it asks what the install location directory is (dont know why it doesnt auto do this)... anyway, i selected the below directory.
c/program files/autodesk/3ds max 2021

Whatever it updated, it updated it within c/program files/autodesk/3ds max 2021/3dsmax 2021... duplicating the 3DS max 2021.
Now i have multiple issues with my plugins and rendering application - total nightmare.  I dont want to reinstall it as its a long process with all my scripts and plugins - can anything be done?

Not sure why the updater would allow this to happen? 

Message 18 of 42
shawnolson
in reply to: short.cirkuit

I am terribly sorry for this issue. This is a bug in the installer when using the Autodesk Desktop Application. You may need to uninstall the application and re-install to fix that issue.

For future reference, when choosing a path for the installer, please use this path: 

C:\Program Files\Autodesk

We are working on a fix for this. Again, we are immensely sorry for the confusion.

Message 19 of 42
short.cirkuit

thats ok i realise people make mistakes.... how soon can a fix be implimented?  will this mean i wont have to reinstall if there is a fix?  Im trying to avoid a reinstall at all costs - i cant lose a day as im so far behind already

Message 20 of 42
shawnolson
in reply to: short.cirkuit

I do not have enough information to give you a solid answer at this moment. I will share this with our support teams. My guess is that a proper fix will require uninstall/reinstall. You can try that now or wait for me to share any updated info which may not be immediate.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report