Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3DS Max 2018.4 Creating _Backup file EVERY time i open a project

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Bdcoll
3004 Views, 8 Replies

3DS Max 2018.4 Creating _Backup file EVERY time i open a project

Hey all.

So i've upgraded to the latest version of 2018.4 however every single time i either import into the scene, or even open a file, Max helpfully decides it needs to create a _backup file. Its starting to be a pretty annoying problem. The time it takes to open a file has instantly doubled as it now wants to save as soon as it is open, but also my library is now littered with _Backup_Backup_Backup_Backup_Backup_Backup_Backup_Backup_Backup_Backup_Backup_Backup files...

Your post subject line has been edited by @hagen.deloss: 3DS Max Creating _Backup file EVERY time i open a project

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
brentscannell
in reply to: Bdcoll

Hi @Bdcoll

Sorry for the trouble this is causing you. Could you try something out for me? Inside the scene converter dialog (under the Rendering menu), uncheck the box for creating backup files:

backup.PNG

Message 3 of 9
Bdcoll
in reply to: brentscannell

Already tried this several times unfortunately. 

Also wouldn't really apply as i'm creating _backup files every time i open a project so this screen would never pop up.

Message 4 of 9

i would always use the (+) sign in the save as this will also make a copy but you will need to keep overrighting the file, then incase the backup file doesn't open you can merge one scene into a competely new file and make sure you use a different save name, and not just overright the old file. 

Message 5 of 9
hagen.deloss

Hello @Bdcoll

Thanks for bringing this question to the forums! Hhhhm an autosave that happens even when you don't want it to...I'm looking at this thread that seems to have the same solution @brentscannell offered up! I'm wondering if resetting your user profile would help resolve this issue, here is an article on how to do so. 

Farther down in that thread, A user mentions thinking the Mental Ray Plugin may be the culprit, are you by chance using any plugins? I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this, let me know how you decide to proceed 😄

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Hagen Deloss
Community Manager | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 6 of 9

Hmm very interesting that this setting does not stick.

A few others have noticed that the setting "Open Scene Converter on file open when missing legacy plugins" seems to stick when set to "off"

I did a quick check and this seems to be stored in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2019 - 64bit\ENU\3dsMax.ini

For those curious to try something out for me: I noticed an entry next to "OpenWhenNeededOnFileOpen=0" called:
BackupOriginalFilesBatchConversion=0
This seemed a little odd, like it was mixing two preferences on one line. I changed this to:
BackupOriginalFiles=0
BatchConversion=0

And now every time I open 3ds Max 2019 (tried about 3 times just now), the preference for Backup Original Files is always unchecked. Could someone who's experiencing chronic pain due to these backup files try this change to your own 3dsMax.ini file, and let us know if this resolves it?

Message 7 of 9
Bdcoll

Yep, this right here has solved my problem. The _Backup files have been prevented from happening for the last 5+ times i've opened a max file.

Message 8 of 9
brentscannell

Great! I will log the defect and mention this workaround. Thanks for testing that out.

Message 9 of 9
jeff

A second box of kudos to Brent the Bug-Slayer.
Fixed my endless "_backup.max" issue too. Thanks.

Max since 1992 (3d Studio) · Win 10-64 · Wintel workstation · 64 GB RAM · nVidia Quadro RTX 4000 · BB render garden via Deadline

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report