Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds max 2015 - Slow interface reaction and lags.

64 REPLIES 64
Message 1 of 65
mateusz_s
19650 Views, 64 Replies

3ds max 2015 - Slow interface reaction and lags.

Hello,

Please help - I am going insane!

My PC is:

Windows 7 64bit Professional

2x Xeon 12 cores (2,7 GhZ)

RAM: 64 GB

Geforce 780 Ti

Viewport Display: Nitrous DX 11

First of all - I have no problems with rotating or playing complex scenes,

but I have very slow interface reaction to mouse clicks in the viewport. For example,

after the start I am creating the simplest BOX, I click and drag, but there is like 1 second delay between clik&drag and box creating. Or when I am selecting an object (even if there is no other objects in the scene) there is a delay. Selecting, changing, sliding through parameters give me delays - that makes me crazy! I can't work like this. It takes ages to do the simples things...

I tried to change the display from Nitrous to OpenGL, I think it was slightly better. I tried with different NVidia Display settings, I turn off the Aero and returned to basic Windows, but it didn't helped much. Anyway I don't think with PC like that I should turn off everything... My friends in work are using Cinema4D and always everything works fine for them.. I feel so embarassing... Autodesk WHY?

Thanks in advance!

64 REPLIES 64
Message 2 of 65
PROH
in reply to: mateusz_s

Are you using a wireless mouse? If so, try with a good old wired one 🙂
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 3 of 65
mateusz_s
in reply to: PROH

No, no.. I am using the good old one, Every other program wokrs fine, I only have this lags in 3ds max 2015..

Message 4 of 65
Anonymous

It might be related to the new viewport anti-aliasing options introduced in 2015, right-click on the blue cube at the bottom of the interface to bring up vieport configurations, and see if the anti-aliasing is on, if so move the slider to none and see if that gets rid of the lag.

Message 5 of 65
mateusz_s
in reply to: Anonymous

I tried, no results.. I noticed another horrible thing, when I maximize one viewport it takes a few seconds to refresh (max is freezed) and the same when I am back to the quad view - NIGHTMARE! I don't know whats wrong... 

Message 6 of 65
AbouMay

Any update on this thread?

I also experiment a freeze similar to this one, as well as another freeze at every viewport navigation move (at move start).

Message 7 of 65
Anonymous
in reply to: AbouMay

I am having the same issue. I know some of you found a link with using a 3dconnexion device, but unfortunately that is not the issue for me as I am not using any. The viewport navigations initial lag is about 1-2 seconds, on every action, that is; moving, rotating, selecting etc. It is very time consuming!

I did notice that when I do not set my 3ds max to maximized, but I minimize it to say half the resolution, the navigation lag is reduced. I am using a 32 inch monitor, so the viewport resolution is big, but that cannot be the problem can it? I never had this issue with the previous versions of max (just migrated from 2012 to 2015) I'm running max on a Geforce GTX 760.

viewport navigation is indeed faster but the initial lag is the problem. This results in max2015 being unsuitable for my workflow. I am reverting back to 2012 until this is fixed or found!

Message 8 of 65
lightcube

I wanted to jump on here and share some of my experience.

For all of my desktops, Max 2015 has performed with flying colors--just perfect. And even with a laptop I had it installed on earlier last year, it worked adequately. This week I replaced my old dead laptop with a newer one. And this one is experiencing the same lag issues mentioned above.

Symptoms:

Selecting an object: Several seconds before viewport updates or modify panel updates.

Create: Several seconds lag before the create process registers and viewport displays anything.

Changing Command Panel Tab: Several seconds if any object is selected.

The general navigation in Max is fast when nothing is selected, and if the object is already selected, I can change parameters just fine and quickly.

In this case, the system is:

Windows 8.1

i7-5500U

12GB DDR3

nVidia Geforce 840m + Intel HD 5500 (latest drivers both and Max is using Geforce)

Touchscreen monitor

This isn't the machine I expect to do much 3D on, but I am sharing this info to add to the pool as it would be nice to figure it out. Yeah the video card is a low end card, but it's specs are actually a lot better than the last laptop I ran Max on with acceptable performance.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm
3ds Max plugins and Scripts

3ds Max 4/Gmax - 3ds Max 2020
Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
Message 9 of 65
eodeo
in reply to: lightcube

I haven't encountered your problem as Max is working beautify to me. However, what was described sounds to me like .net problem. Maybe caused by protection you're using, like an antivirus or firewall- maybe. Try disabling such program temporarily.

Message 10 of 65
lightcube
in reply to: eodeo

I don't have any AV installed on this system, so that isn't the issue. I also tried turning off UAC, running Max in Compatibility mode (Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Vista), running as Admin, Disabling scaling on high DPI settings, and those all had no impact.

Still fiddling to see if it's something I can alleviate.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm

Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
Message 11 of 65
eodeo

Disabling scaling on high DPI settings

Have you tried using a standard resolution, like 1080p? Max here works fine with both UAC and aero, but on 1080p. I dont have higher pixel density display or any other ideas.

Message 12 of 65
lightcube

Yeah, 1080 doesn't help on this one.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm

Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
Message 13 of 65
Anonymous

I have similar problems with max 2015 ext2 sp3. When orbiting around objects (sub object mode also), creating and manipulating objects there is a lag about 0,5-1 seconds before anything happens. After that it is fast.

The Only way to fix this for me is to turn off backface culling on all objects in the scene. Then there is no lag at all.

However I did not have to do this in max 2013 or 2014. This is a problem in max 2015 only.

But the menus/interface and maximizing/minimizing is working fine for me.

Core i7 3930k, 32 gig RAM, Nvidia GTX 680, 256 GB SSD, windows 7 x64

Message 14 of 65
lightcube

Well here's a crazy turn of events. I added a user account on the laptop for my son, and on his account, Max works flawlessly. I'm going to investigate some more and take the normal steps (resetting the appdata--which is odd since this is a new system, but what the heck).

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm

Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
Message 15 of 65
lightcube

So yes, even though this was a fresh install of 3ds Max, deleting the AppData folder fixed the issue for me. I've used this many times over the years, but I never suspected it in a fresh install with these symptoms.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm

Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
Message 16 of 65
eodeo

That's bad news for Max users in general. What do you need to do to reset the app data?

Message 17 of 65
lightcube

Well, in this case, I renamed this folder:

C:\Users\Shawn\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2015 - 64bit

to:

C:\Users\Shawn\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\Backup2015 - 64bit

Then restarted Max.

It should have been my first step, as it's the sure fire way to fix a giant number of problems. I just simply didn't expect it on a fresh install.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm

Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
Message 18 of 65
spacefrog_
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

I have similar problems with max 2015 ext2 sp3. When orbiting around objects (sub object mode also), creating and manipulating objects there is a lag about 0,5-1 seconds before anything happens. After that it is fast.

The Only way to fix this for me is to turn off backface culling on all objects in the scene. Then there is no lag at all.

However I did not have to do this in max 2013 or 2014. This is a problem in max 2015 only.

But the menus/interface and maximizing/minimizing is working fine for me.

Core i7 3930k, 32 gig RAM, Nvidia GTX 680, 256 GB SSD, windows 7 x64

Tunrning OFF backface culling is the recommended option for years now already. You loose a LOT of viewport performance as soon as any wireframe is visible in the viewport and backface culling is enabled

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 19 of 65
nils_p
in reply to: spacefrog_

Same troubles here on my quadro K2000. both max2014 and 2015

Had to revert to direct3D 9 from direct3D 11

Maybe this works for you guys as well

Message 20 of 65
Anonymous

Try convert to direct 3d.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report