Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds max 2011 32bit Trial - Ribbon + MaxScript errors in Windows 7

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
702 Views, 14 Replies

3ds max 2011 32bit Trial - Ribbon + MaxScript errors in Windows 7

Hello everyone,

I installed the trial version of 3ds max 2011 on my primary computer. However, I keep getting MaxScript errors with Macro_PolyTools.ms (see screenshot). This usually happens if I try to do anything in the new ribbon (even just mouse over), or if I open some menus in the menu bar. Dismissing the dialog only brings it up again, which is frustrating to say the least. Usually after I dismiss it 5+ times, it goes away, only to be triggered again.

So far the only solution I found is to delete/rename Macro_PolyTools.ms, which is overkill to say the least. Any suggestions for me? Not getting much use of the trial with this error constantly in the way.

My system:

Videocard: AMD Radeon 5850, Catalyst 10.4 drivers
Other: Intel 920 CPU, Asus P6T motherboard, 6GB RAM

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
gothmoth
in reply to: Anonymous

yes im very unhappy with the ribbon stuff too.

i have not changed anything to 3d max and today i get a xaml missing root error.
3d max tells me then it will set something to default values.... but the next time i start max i get this eror mnessage again.

very annoying.
Message 3 of 15
nw42

Message 4 of 15
danpool

i'm having the same problem with 3ds Max 2011 on Windows XP with a fresh install. The first error popped up when I tried to change the ribbon to a vertical configuration. Now when I start max, the ribbon is gone, and everytime i click on the Tools or Rendering menu, I get an error related to Polyboost.

Anyone found a fix to this yet?

Edit: I found this:http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-3ds-max/autodesk-3ds-max--3ds-max-design-2010/3dmax-2010-won...
which partially fixed the problem for me. The script has been renamed "PolyTools.ms." Go to MAXScript/Run Script and choose PolyTools.ms from the (Max install directory)/Stdplugs/stdscripts directory. Hope this helps.

Now if I can just get the ribbon to reappear...

P.S. The person at microsoft who came up with the ribbon UI needs to be shot. This has got to be the biggest step backwards in computer usability in history.

Edit: The saga continues:

OK autodesk. This is seriously broken. I have to run PolyTools.ms EVERY $%#%@@ing TIME I START MAX to even be able to use the munus!!!! This was a known bug with 2010. The fix was to run the script once and then max would recognize the functions that were causing the errors. Generally a new version of software FIXES EXISTING BUGS AND THEN (and ONLY then) BUILDS ON THE SOFTWARE'S CAPABILITIES!!!!! This version not only doesn't fix this known bug, but now it is WORSE! How many times worse? I don't know, how Many times am I going to run this software this year? Hundreds of times!

Also with Max 2010, you could bring Graphite Modelling Tools back by going to Tools | Graphite Modelling Tools. This menu entry doesn't exist in 3dsMax 2011! So where is my ribbon, which I hate but must use because it contains tools that exist no where else in Max?
Message 5 of 15
ken.pimentel
in reply to: danpool

You must be doing something non-standard as we're not getting reports of problems off a fresh install with other users. Can you explain what it is you're doing differently than others (who aren't reporting the same problem?)
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

I tried a couple more things to try and solve this issue.

- reinstalling the trial version
- changing /script system path to a new location and copying the old scripts over

So far nothing has made a difference.

To be more specific, the script error dialog comes up at the following times:

- at start-up
- opening the Edit, Tools or Render menus (go figure)
- attempting to open the Graphite Menu, and/or interacting with it in any way once it's open
Message 7 of 15
gothmoth

You must be doing something non-standard as we’re not getting reports of problems off a fresh install with other users.

ken maybe you should read this forum.
the ribbon stuff is seriously broken.

don´t deny it... FIX IT!

i have done 2 fresh installations.
and without making changes to the GUI suddenly(!) i get a xaml parsing error when i start max.

the xaml file then a has lenght of 0 bytes.
at least one other person reported the same issue.
thanks to him i have now copied a backup of this file so i can copy it back to the directory when this happens.

others have problems with the ribbon stuff too.
saying there are no issues is a slap in the face of your customers.
Message 8 of 15
danpool

SLAP! I'm sure that wasn't meant to be rude, but it kinda came across as such. I guess my last post wasn't on the polite side either, but I'm the customer. I'm allowed to be impolite.

This is my frustration Ken. This is a virgin install (the third installation in fact). I'm installing the software as an administrator. I'm running the software as a user with admin privelages. This is a Windows XP (x86) box that runs 3ds Max 2010 with no issues. I open the program, and without touching anything am greeted with a scripting window with Macro_PolyTools.mcr open. Then I have to close ten or so error messages. If I even click on the Rendering, Tools, or Edit menus, the scripting window and error message (only one this time) reappear.

So if you can tell me what it is I'm doing differently, by opening the program in order to use it, or clicking a menu item, which noone else seems to be doing, maybe we can solve this issue.

I have to run PolyTools.ms everytime I open the application to get rid of the error messages. All of the error messages are similar to the one demonstrated by midijunky's first post. After the third install I was finally able to get the ribbon (&*%$#) to stay up, so I guess I can atleast use the software now. I really don't want to have to browse to find this .ms file everytime I use the software, though.
Message 9 of 15
danpool

Sorry for the double post, but I thought I would post the solution seperately.

That's right SOLUTION! I think, based on midijunky's last post that he was pretty close to getting it himself. His mention of "changing /script system path to a new location and copying the old scripts over" made me think of looking in the 3dsmax.ini where I found this line:
Startup Scripts=C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2011\scripts\startup

So you can either change that line, probably not the best solution, or you can...

Copy (don't move or cut/paste) the PolyTools.ms from:
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2011\stdplugs\stdscripts

To:
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2011\Scripts\Startup

Now the script is run when you open the software. All properties are recognized. No error messages.

Ken, I was just about to submit a support ticket with autodesk when I figured this out. As I'm sure this issue will arise again, should I still open a ticket so the tech support folks know this solution, or can you let them know?
Message 10 of 15
Steve_Curley

The question is - how come my system is working perfectly without having to copy that file?

My guess would be "as an administrator" and "user with admin rights" (in your earlier post) are potential causes of all this. Install and run once as THE administrator (the real one) to ensure everything is right before running as a normal user (whether that user has admin rights or not).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 11 of 15
danpool

Sorry I wasn't clear on that point. First two installs were installed/run as a user with admin rights. Third install was installed/run as admin. At the exact moment that I posted I was attempting to run it as a user with admin rights. I tried the admin thing on the third install just to see if that had an effect.

So the issue seems to exist regardless.

All installed files where removed between installs using Add/Remove programs and deleting the items installed in Documents and Settings under the "Application Data" and "Local Settings/Application Data" folders.

You're absolutely right though...the question is - why is your system working perfectly without having to copy the file?

I work at a pretty large company where I am the only 3dsMax user. The IT department has access to my machine so it could be an invironment variable or something else that they set or installed. I'm not sure. I'm totally up for working through this with tech support to see if we can find out what the issue is, I can't speak for our IT department, though.
Message 12 of 15
Steve_Curley

If I knew the answer to that I'd be rich. All I can say is that the first install (so there were no "leftover" files or registry entries to deal with) was done as Administrator. I have no user accounts (and no IT dept to deal with) so always run as Administrator (autologin so I never get bothered by that pesky login dialog). I really can't think of anything else which can cause this. I do recall seeing similar problems reported here with previous versions of Max and in some cases then the User was the problem (not you, the login ;) ). Sometimes a Repair fixed it, sometimes switching UI theme fixed it, and (of course) sometimes a reinstall fixed it.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

Got exactly the same problem and i didn't found any solution to this problem i went back to Max 2010. Found a solution for windows 7 but i'm under windows xp. Someone get a solution ?
Message 14 of 15
danpool

I posted a solution above.
Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

Just as a general point of reference; if you find there's runtime bugs popping up in scripts you don't actually use, you can suppress the error message by wrapping the offending lines within a try/catch clause.

Macroscript Symmetry_Tools
category: "PolyTools"
internalCategory: "PolyTools"
tooltip: "Symmetry Tools"
autoUndoEnabled:false
(
try(
on isEnabled return PolyBoost.ValidEPbasemacro()
on execute do PolyBoost.SymmetryD()
)
catch( /* Do Nothing */ )
)

A common practice in most programming languages is to delimit a potentially "hazardous" action (as in, one that might trigger a runtime exception; which no end user finds friendly) within a try/catch block.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report