Community
3ds Max Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

flower rig

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
MarkAldred
669 Views, 3 Replies

flower rig

Hi

I'm looking for a tutorial on how to do something like this ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDf3frDxn-U

In particular, what is likely happening with the single Custom Attribute that controls the opening and closing of the flower? Would that be controlling the Morpher on each petal? How would I set that up?

Thanks

Mark

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hello @MarkAldred,

Interesting rig here, cool find.  I found the author's website and he'd mentioned that he used Maxscript to rig it, so it seems like the attribute holder (more) is controlling a few things with that one attribute spinner.  There seems to be a bend that happens laterally, a bend/curl which goes vertically, and lastly it looks like those petals rotate a bit on their local pivot with the pivot point set to where they connect to the bud/center.  I'd imagine the petals are not attached to the center of the flower, they are all separate objects, likely in a group.  (Guessing.)

So I think that you might have to experiment a bit with the scripting for controller those modifiers or properties of the object and then make a maxscript that creates a function that is called and then combines those things to happen at the same time and is then added to a custom attribute holder.  I do have more information here about scripted custom attributes.  I realize this is answer is a bit wide.  Does that help at all?  

Best Regards,

Message 3 of 4

Thanks Alfred.

"Scripted custom attribute" is more than enough to be getting on with. I'll look into it.

Message 4 of 4

Happy to help @MarkAldred, thanks for the update!  If you have any questions please let me know.

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report