Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Licence Distribution?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
ManBearPigNZL
493 Views, 5 Replies

Student Licence Distribution?

Hi there i'm new to the autodesk community and I have a question that I cannot find the answer to.

So i'm thinking of making a video game through Cryengine 3 sdk (Nothing too serious just getting experince and having fun) and i'm a student at a high school so i'm going to download 3ds max and mudbox to help me make the game through a student licence. So I was wondering if I manage to finish the game can I distribute it for free to the public to download and play? I know I can't distribute the game commerically but I want to make a name for myself or something like that. 

Last of all if I can distribute the game for non commerical use, can I ask for donations or is that classes as making profit off the game.

Thanks for answering in advance, Sorry if this is bad question or something I just really want to know 😄 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

No. Student versions are for learning. Nothing more. In order to distribute your work, either directly (as a model), in a game or in any other way you require a commercial license. You may use the (rendered) result in your portfolio but that's about it. You may not, under any circumstances, benefit financially from work done in a Student version.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 6
DarrenP
in reply to: Steve_Curley

look at renting a license of 3ds max: http://www.autodesk.com/store/3ds-max

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 6

Thanks for your feedback so fast, Last question if you don't mind what if I made the game using the student licence and then purchased a rental commercial licences then disputed it for free would that be algood. Thanks.
Message 5 of 6

Nope. You can't use content created in a Student version commercially. You would have to recreate it in the rented (commercial) version.
You would be better off forgetting entirely about distributing anything - use the Student version(s) for learning purposes. Once you've learned enough to be able to do the job quickly and efficiently then consider purchasing a full commercial license or renting it as suggested above. Renting is time limited, therefore, if you go that route, you need to be proficient with the software first so that you can do the whole job, from start to finish, in the available time.

Furthermore, if this game is standalone (not a mod to an existing game) then you will also run into licensing issues with cryengine as it clearly states on the download page that you can only use it for non-commercial purposes.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 6 of 6

Thanks for clearing that up also I was only wanting to distribute the game for non-commercial purposes that's why I was asking this question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report