Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lag when panning with a few million polys when it should handle it fine

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
iz7749
453 Views, 1 Reply

Lag when panning with a few million polys when it should handle it fine

i recently built a new computer specs:

intel i7 4930k - 6 core  3.4GHz

16GB RAM 1866MHz

GTX 780

3ds max is installed on my 128GB SSD, which only has 3ds max and my operating system on

as a test i created a sphere and turbosmoothed it till it had 2.5 million polys. at that point it was fine, however from there on it went down hill. copying it 3 times so the scene held 10 million it started lagging pretty noticeably when panning around the spheres. but it was still useable to an extent, i copied those so i have 20 million and it was pretty unuseable lagging all the time, then again to 40 million and it because unuseable, i lowerred to 30 million and it was lagging really hard but i could only just still pan without it freezing. it also kept freezing when doubling the spheres, even the lower ammounts. 

the computers i use in college have intel i7 3770k quad core, quadro 4000, 16GB RAM ive only tested them up to 32 million but they seem to handle that alot better than mine does 30 million. i know they are workstation builds and mines a custom using more gaming parts that workstation but i think that the lag difference is too great for the performance of both machines. 

my previous computer was a budget AMD, quad core, gts 450, 8GB RAM 1333MHz and that could handle a couple million without lagging, and when my current one starts lagging at below 10million it worries me that somethings wrong, maybe its installed incorectly, or something. 

Rendering is also alot slower than i expected, seeing as my old pc was able to render 1.2million polys, v-ray setup, with unity 3D open with stuff in and whilst watching a dvd without it jumping fine, and fairly quickly. however this computer seems to struggle with alot less poly count, and similar settings without having other stuff running in the background. 

i dont think its the components being an issue as when playing games it works fine, for instance i am able to run bf4 on ultra at an average of 80 - 120 FPS. so i think its something i have done incorectly (reinstalling did nothing), as also it seems to load up fairly slow (too close to what it did on my old computer) compared to what my friend has on his pc which is older than mine. 

Thanks 

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
tracyaf_2
in reply to: iz7749

Your schools computers use quadros which are optimized for autodesk software.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report