Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3DS Max won't run on Windows 8

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
gunnerdeath92
2819 Views, 3 Replies

3DS Max won't run on Windows 8

Hi there,

I installed 3ds Max 2014 but it just won't start. It gives me this problem: "a software problem has caused 3ds max to close unexpectedly", but it doesn't say anything about what's causing the problem.

I uninstalled and re-installed again with no luck, so if you guys could give me some advice I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Post your system specs.

Are drivers up to date?

Alias/Wavefront Maya 3 -> Discreet 3DS Max 4 -> ...
Win7 Pro 64
EVGA Classified Super Record 2
Dual Xeon Hexa-Core, 48GB RAM
GTX 780 x 2
Corona Renderer, mental Ray
Message 3 of 4

more information is needed. It does run on win 8. It runs fine on my laptop, and that thing is even 6 or so years old. 

What sort of machine are you running? As already requested, what are the specs? Also, what other software are you running?

That is a very generic error. You might learn something more if you look up the error in the event viewer. Not running with the proper credentials/rights may also cause unexpected crashes.

Message 4 of 4

Hey, thanks for replying, but I'm going to post the solution I found in case someone has the same problem.

I downgraded my nvidia driver drom 320 to 306 and that did it. Don't know if it will work with more recent drivers though.

Cheers and thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report