Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rendering transparent

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
345 Views, 4 Replies

Rendering transparent

Hi,

I modeled an object that is fully solid and not transparent. While it shows up in the viewport (see Viewport.png), when I render it, some parts are transparent.  Can I do something to stop this from happening? Thank you for your help!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
PROH
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi. Could be several things. Might be easier to tell, if you would show a render with the issue.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Okay here it is.

Thank you!

Message 4 of 5
Steve_Curley

At a guess you have "flipped polys" - polygons whose Normals are facing inwards instead of outwards. You could try the Normals modifier (select Unify Normals) or just select them and Flip them manually.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 5 of 5
PROH

Hi. The reason why some faces shows in the viewport but not in the render, is that your model is made of "single" faces, which have no thickness and by default are invisible when viewed from behind. There are a couple of ways to deal with this:

1) Do as Steve suggest, and flip the faces so that they all show the front side to the camera. This will only do for this particular camera position.

2) Give your model (walls) thickness. This could be done by applying a "Shell" modifier to the object. This is IMHO the best solution.

3) Use a "Two sided" material. In a standard material there is an "2 sided" option, in mr materials it works a bit different depending on the specific kind of material.

Hope it helps
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report