Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Associating the default 'Area' parameter from Filled regions within a family?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
ChrisBXE93T
341 Views, 7 Replies

Associating the default 'Area' parameter from Filled regions within a family?

Hi all,

I'm trying to come up with an easier way to do light calculations from Window families.

Previously, we had parameter in the window family with a formula that would calculate the 'Area' of the window panel, by multiplying the Width x Height, then a bunch of calculations that would minus the frame & sash dimensions to give us the correct area. With newer window family's being created in our library with more complicated arrangements of panels and frames this becomes very tedious and open to user error.

I realized with Revit 2024 that you can actually associate a filled regions' 'Area' parameter that is given by default with a family parameter - like such:

ChrisBXE93T_1-1709770544231.png

My idea was - place a filled region for the panel, make sure it isn't visible in the project environment, associate the 'Area' to a shared parameter, then this area value can be scheduled and will update if the family dimensions change. However, this only works for the family type I work with in the family editor. Whenever the dimensions of the window change, the value that shows up in the properties of the filled region does not update to the parameter it associates with - like such:

ChrisBXE93T_2-1709770735446.png

Has anyone had any success with something like this before? I can't seem to get the associated parameter to automatically update if the family changes, it seems to break if I change the 'Width' or 'Height' in the project environment.

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Simon_Weel
in reply to: ChrisBXE93T

Tried it - same result. I think it's a bug?

Message 3 of 8

I see that in Revit 2024 there are 2 properties of filled regions that have new buttons to associate the property with a parameter. I did some research trying to find any documentation about these new feature but I could not find any. And I made some tests, but I could not make sense of this. Can anybody from the factory please give us some orientation about these features?

2024-03-07_10-42-18.png

I would like to see other properties with the ability to associate to a parameter, like these, below, the properties of a  profile in a sweep or swept blend.

2024-03-07_12-05-58.png

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 4 of 8

Hi Alfredo,

Don't know about the first image, have you used reporting parameters? Could be a generic approach that doesn't work for all parameters...

But the second image freaked me out a bit, I have been using for years; assigning parameters to profiled sweeps.

Until I saw the image is of the editing mode, for the element itself (if created using a profile) the properties can be associated to parameters (I still hope its present in 2024)

Association buttons for profiled sweepAssociation buttons for profiled sweep

- Michel

Message 5 of 8

You are correct. In the image that I posted before about the profile of the sweep, it doesno't show the buttons because I am selecting the profile. If I close and select the sweeps, then the buttons appear. BUT, the button to associate the profile remains missing. Why, oh, why, there's one button missing? 

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Message 6 of 8

Sorry guys - just wanting to stay on the topic of the thread here.

Is there any resolution? Is this not an intended feature or is it a bug?

Message 7 of 8

In post # 3 above, I said that I did not understand the usage of this, and I was asking if someone from Autodesk could explain. I can't say if it is a feature or a bug. 

Message 8 of 8

Thanks Alfredo, hoping someone from Autodesk can confirm. Appreciate you looking into it for me.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report