Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloth sticking to collision object issue

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
1684 Views, 12 Replies

Cloth sticking to collision object issue

Hi there,

I am having an issue with my cloth simulation. Scene file https://www.dropbox.com/s/qoinqmt5j66mtow/Battle%20Over%20Dallas%20-%20For%20Autodesk%20Area%20forum...

Issue is that at some point during the simulation, a cloth vertices will stick to a collision object and never get disconnected. I have messed around with it a bunch and have changed more things than I could fully list here(including depth, offset, garment density, cloth simulation step, etc), but I cannot identify the issue. In the attached file you can see it happens at frame 180. Truncating my simulation to before frame 180 and simulating again does not fix the issue.

I'm more than happy to try any suggestions! Thanks in advance!

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
MedalHellWay
in reply to: Anonymous

Your scene works well for me. No cloth sticking to collision object, so I can not help you ...

Tip: when you create a rectangle to create the cloth, transform it in editspline and break the vertex before inserting the modifier Garment Maker; it works better in the corners of the mesh...

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: MedalHellWay

Thanks for your response! If you go to frames 180-188 in my scene file you should be able to see that some vertices on the buttom of the rectangle/cloth are sticking to the wall and wall base.

Could you take another look? I would greatly appreciate it.

On another forum someone told me to attach the two collision objects near where the cloth is sticking, and then weld them. I successfully attached them but I tried welding the edges and the vertices but have been unable to successfully weld.

Message 4 of 13
MedalHellWay

The video (attach) shows the frames 0 to 190... all ok !! from 180 to 190 nothing strange...
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

I do not see a video...

Message 6 of 13
MedalHellWay

The file attach on my first reply!!! 😄

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

I was wondering what that was...a .rar video file? It wont uncompress or play in vlc...

I tried chaning extension to some video formats but that didnt help...

Message 8 of 13
MedalHellWay

???? You must unzip the package with winrar, 7zip ecc... Inside there is a video in .avi called "_scene"...
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

strange. the rar would not unzip no matter what program i used. it just gave an error.

anyways, im not sure what you are talking about because there certainly is an issue in that file. but, never mind as I received help on another forum.

the solution was to attach and weld the two collision objects that were sticking to the cloth.

Message 10 of 13
Steve_Curley

Don't know what you're doing then because I just download that file, extracted it with 7zip and played it. There's nothing wrong with the avi at all. Try redownloading it.

And while you're doing that, please let us know which version of Max you're using - could potentially be an issue in an earlier release which isn't there in new(er) versions.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Strange. I guess my download was corrupted...

In any case, as I stated earlier there definitely was an issue with this, not sure why you didnt see it. On other forums people saw the issue in the same file and were able to help me.

Attach > weld for my collision objects was the solution.

Thanks for your time folks!

Message 12 of 13
MedalHellWay

Yes, with 7zip the file .rar is ok. Anyway, with 3dsmax2016 the simulation don't have any problem... happy for your solution!! 🙂
Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

Ah! I thikn I am using 3dsmax 2015. Maybe time for an upgrade 🙂

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report