Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to maintain geometry link of detached edges from edit poly?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Rony_Autodesk
824 Views, 11 Replies

how to maintain geometry link of detached edges from edit poly?

hi, is there a way to create a "link" so that the detached edges from edit poly updates simultaneously as I modify the poly object? the main reason is sometimes I hav to use sweep modifier to create a mullion.  this is the workflow that I Do =

1.model an organic editable poly object and apply mesh smooth modifier up to 2 iteration (I need the mullion to be smooth, not jagged)

001.JPG

2.apply another edit poly modifier and select edges from subobject that I want to create the mullion from

002.JPG

3. detached edges. it becomes Spline

003.JPG

4.apply Sweep modifier to the detached edges. and I got the mullion that I want

004.JPG

however, I cannot possibly link Spline and editable poly object, so if let say I have to adjust my base poly object, the mullion will not update itself.

is there a better way to achieve that? i was hoping to get a full node-based method. so I can adjust the mullion by simply modify my base surface

thanks in advance 🙂

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Rony_Autodesk

Well, I know there are plugins and maxscripts which can aid in this kind of thing.  There may even be default techniques to achieving what you need here, but I can't seem to recall specifics at the moment.  I'll look into it further for you, but here's one maxscript which might lead you in the right direction...

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/follow-surface

"Here's a script to allow an object to follow the contours/etc. of another object. It's called 'Follow_Surface' and it will enable you to have an object follow a surface even if the surface is animated. You can also follow the surface with a time delay (like a buoy does when it's floating on water)".

Sounds like it could be used for something similar to what you describe.  Still, there are most likely other methods.  Have you tried skinning the spline objects to the surface?  Maybe using a Skin Wrap modifier?

Message 3 of 12
Rony_Autodesk
in reply to: Anonymous

hi, thank you for your generous reply. I only use 3dsmax for archviz only therefor I am not very familiar with either "skinning" or "rigging". Ill try to find some tutorial on the net to see how they work, perhaps that could help. care to give some little explanation how "skinning" works in that particular problem buddy?

Ill try the script and see if that can aid my modelling. however, it would be very handy if we can get every tool and action in 3dsmax stored in separate "nodes" so we can always modify our base "node" to change the final outcome of our model. (I believe we can do it in Maxscript. but Iam not familiar with Max coding language)

thank you :)))

Message 4 of 12

Like luxxon said the fastest way might be to skinwrap the spline to the shape.

Something like:

Sweep

SkinWrap->Pick surface

editableSpline

But you will loose the 'live-link' if you change the topology of the surface.

3dsmax is node-based like any other dcc application, but there is no coherent GUI that exposes those nodes.

Maybe 3dsmax2016 will change this with 'Max Creation Graph'.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: aon.914858227

I think Para3D is a great example of node-based functionality in Max.  Very much like Grasshopper for Rhino.

As for the OP... I think if you don't have skin wrap modifier, then you'll need to look at the various Maxscripts available out there to help with this kind of thing.  There aren't many, but if you go to Scriptspot.com, you'll be sure to find something.  

Message 6 of 12

that would be awesome for 3dsmax to have full integrated node-based workflow, are you sure that will be on Max 2016? does it work like Hypergraph in MAYA?  or will it be like graphical-representation of scripting solution (much like Rhino-grasshopper)?

thank you mate 🙂

Message 7 of 12
Rony_Autodesk

Para3D unfortunately isn't free. and from what I read it is limited to "parametric array" not "generative modelling" like RHino-grasshopper. Grasshopper come in as free plug in for RHino, and with grasshopper I can basically do any scripting that I like not limited to just parametric modelling. (I can run daylight simmulation or any analysis stuff in Grasshopper as well). it is so sad that Autodesk has no plan to pump 3ds with such feature. :(((((

thanks bud, I will look at scriptspot and see what I can find.

:))

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

I'm not familiar with the differences between the functionality of Grasshopper in Rhino, vs. Para3D in 3dsmax.  I do know the primary differences, of course, between the software (Poly vs. Nurbs), but the functions in Para3D look very similar to the funcitonality of Grasshopper.  You can do more than array modeling in latest versions of Para3D.  Regardless, I do not know of any plans to integrate that kind of function in 3dsmax 2016.  I haven't actually heard of any plans for 2016 yet, and we aren't allowed to discuss that in this forum to my knowledge.

Good luck finding a solution, and please let me know if I can assist in anything further.

Message 9 of 12
PROH

Hi Rony_Autodesk. There's are several ways to do this, depending on the purpose - meaning what do you want to make? If your mullions are round, then there is a very simple way to do it:

1) Model your object (like you already did)
2) Select the edges that are going to be mullions (like you also already did)
3) With the edges still selected add a "Lattice" modifier and adjust it to your needs

Now you have the mullions as part of the main object, and if you change or animate the main object (i.e. with a noise modifier) the mullions follow. You can give the main object and the mullions different material IDs and apply a multi/sub-object material with different materials, and you can make knots at vertex points.

Hope it helps
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: PROH

That's an interesting and clever technique.  Good idea.  The only potential problem I can see there is that the lattice modifier, when used with only struts from selected edges, creates "breaks" in the struts where the joints are supposed to be at each vertex intersection.  This becomes apparent when you animate the surface. However, you may be able to weld those gaps with vertex weld modifier on top, and still maintain the animated result, but I haven't tested it.

Message 11 of 12
Rony_Autodesk

Also lattice modifier Doesnt allow me to fully customize my mullion profile.. As for para3d. I havent tried it yet. But i found some post about ppl asking for Grasshopper like feature built in max. Since para3d is the closest thing we can get, i guess thats the only answer.
I am not sure if this violates forum rules or not, but i might as well give you guys, grasshopper website= www.grasshopper3d.com
For you all master 3dsmax scriptor to get some inspiration from... I think it helps to improve 3dsmax by looking at what other people doing instead of living inside autodesk box. 🙂
As rhino user myself, ill share a little stuff i feel when working in both rhino and max. the big difference between max and rhino is obviously one is polybased and the other one is nurbs, (max has nurbs but it is very limited, so does rhino has very limited tools for mesh. Some might mention T-spline but i think it is not as good as subD modelling YET since it is still considerably new )

my experience working as architect and designer, i realize when working with design, poly is one The best tool because it is so easy to modify and i dont have to worry about matching nurbs surfaces as i do in rhino, however, things are different when we are doing scripting or generative modelling..is that NURBS patches are much more controllable and versatile as a base parameter and algoritm. Since nurbs are mathematicaly based object, it aids alot to the way we approach and set the parameter for scripting works. if 3dsmax in the future can improve its NURBS tool (at least get smthing like MAYA) we can combine those NURBS function in scripting and shift the algoritm to poly as for the final outcome. I did that alot in rhino because mesh and poly is not going to kill my computer when we do like 15000 parametric panels in a single building.

i hope there will be more plug in like para3d, so dev.team can understand how important it is to have that embedded in 3ds. Archviz is a big thing in 3ds, and we cant miss that one really. And good thing is i no longer have to swtich between max and rhino. Just focus entirely on 3dsmax. (Also save me money);)

i think i mention other software too much, so I am sorry if i am violating forum rules, let me know if i am so iwill delete this post.

Thnk you
Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

I don't know if you've seen Ephere's Lab for 3dsmax.  This visual, node-based creation graph allows you to deform, build, and do all kinds of transforms on objects directly in 3dsmax; extending the functionality of the modeling workflow very much like Grasshopper does for Rhino.  This is not free, but yet another interesting way to work in 3dsmax using the node-based structure you are looking for.  However, I'd wait to see what 2016 brings.  So far, Autodesk has been very tight-lipped about the new release.

https://ephere.com/plugins/autodesk/max/lab/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report