Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battle Field Material not working

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
739 Views, 13 Replies

Battle Field Material not working

Hi,

I am trying to use battle field material without camera. But its not creating any affect of Battlefield material on my Top View.

Battlefield material not working.png

Some body please guide why I am not seeing any effect of Battled Field material. Is it necessary to use camera?

Zulfi.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

I am using 3d max 2011. I am using its battle field tutorial. I am trying to create a rock with the help of material but i am not using any camera. So I am not able to see the effect of material on the batlle field scene. Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.

Message 3 of 14
Steve_Curley

Right at the beginning of that tutorial you are instructed to set your Project Folder to the place where you extracted the tutorial scene files - if you don't do that then you'll have all manner of problems with the tutorials. If you did that (correctly) then Views (menu) > Show Materials in Viewports as > Shaded with Maps. That's from memory as I no longer have 2011 to look at.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I have set the project path. I dont know is there any way to retrieve the project the project path so that you can troubleshoot my problem. My battle field material is different from the material shown in the tutorial.

Battlefield material diff.png

Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.

Message 5 of 14
Steve_Curley

I'm afraid your screenshots are so small that they are unusable. Make sure you take full size images and post tham unmodified so we can actually see what's on them. You could also save your scene (as a new filename - DON'T overwrite the provided ones!) then Zip it and attach it to a reply so we can look at it. I've looked at that tutorial in many versions of Max and have yet to have a problem with it.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks for your response. I am not using camera. This is the only difference with tutorial but I am not getting rock imapct. I dont think camera has anythying to do with rock.

battlefield material in tutorial.png

I am also attaching my zip file of 3dmax 2011 version. Somebody please guide me. I am not getting proper rock simulation after adding battle field material as shown in the tutorial.

Zulfi.

Message 7 of 14
Steve_Curley

I suspect you have still not correctly set your Project Folder. Look at the image (bearing in mind that I don't have Max2011 any more, neither do I have the tutorials for it installed anywhere) - there are 5 files missing (ignoring the one with a full path for a moment). On my system that is correct, because my current project does not have those files. If I copy those files (from the the tutorials for a version of Max I still have installed) then reload the scene those errors go away. This proves that Max is looking in the right place for the files, but that on your system your Project is not correctly set. This is confirmed by that other file which we ignored earlier because you have entered a full, absolute path to it (which obviously won't exist on my system) which shows that you do have the correct files, but Max is not correctly configured to find them.

BattlefieldImageErrors.png

As I stated in my first reply, you MUST set the project folder correctly, as explained at the beginning of the tutorial, otherwise you will just keep running into problems like this.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

battle field material in tutorial1.png

Battlefield material diff.png

First one is int the tutorial and second one is in 3dmax 2011.

Zulfi.

Message 9 of 14
Steve_Curley

Why are you posting screenshots of the material editor? That has nothing whatever to do with the Project Path.
Customize > Configure User Paths. At the top of that dialog is the Project Path which you must set.

And while on the subject of screenshots, what on earth are you doing to get such large blank areas with uselessly small images? Grab the screen - Press the Prt Scr button on the keyboard. Open an Image Editor (MS Paint will do), Insert what's in the Clipboard as a New Image, save it, post it. Whatever you're currently doing - don't - because the results are of little or no use to anyone as they're too small to read.

ProjectPath.png

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. i think this time it worked.

<<Why are you posting screenshots of the material editor? That has nothing whatever to do with the Project Path."

i wanted to show you that material editor is showing different ovals in my case but when i set the correct path, this error removed.

<<And while on the subject of screenshots, what on earth are you doing to get such large blank areas with uselessly small images? Grab the screen - Press the Prt Scr button on the keyboard. Open an Image Editor (MS Paint will do), Insert what's in the Clipboard as a New Image, save it, post it.>>

believe it, i am doing the same.I paste the image in paint and then save it but when i load the image on this forum i am getting large blank spaces. I dont know how to fix this problem.

Thanks for solving my problem. I removed the previous installation and reinstalled it and then choose the folder in which i installed these files.

I am not uploading the file because of this problem of blank spaces.

Zulfi.

Zulfi.

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

Hi,
how can i remove the material after adding it??

Zulfi.
Message 12 of 14
Steve_Curley

Command Panel > Utilities tab > UVW Remove > Materials. You may need to click More and find UVW Remove in the list.

As for the images, you can see for yourself that they aren't helpful as they are. Why your system is creating them like that I don't know, but it's certainly something you need to look at. It's going to make it very difficult to answer your questions if we can't see what the problem is.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

Hi,

Is the image below fine? i got it after adding the battlefield, stone and cannon material. After loading the image i used to cut the image to select only the relevant stuff but this was reducing the content in image without reducing its size and that's why it was showing white space in the image.

Zulfi. 

battle field full screen.png

Message 14 of 14
Steve_Curley

Yes, that's much better. Reducing the overall size by removing unneeded content (cropping) is fine - I do that all the time, the problem was the resizing (shrinking the image rather than removing stuff) which made the images unusable. It's still not perfect because there remains white areas to the right and below the actual image, but it's much better.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report