Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laying out UV's but my grid texture stays messy.

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1438 Views, 9 Replies

Laying out UV's but my grid texture stays messy.

I'm attempting to lay out the UV's on a wagon model.

It's a purchased asset that I've remodelled. I deleted all of the textures it came with from Hypershade. This is my first time using a pre-made model and I'm wondering if I missed something.

As you can see in the picture below, the grid is still really warped and messy despite laying out some of the roof's UVs.

How do I fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 🙂

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
damaggio
in reply to: Anonymous

Try a new automatic projection from the create uvs menu option .. Also keep the projection on the right side of the uv editor , the darker grey square , that's because if you later need to export a snapshot to photoshop for painting it should be on the right side .
Let us know if it works.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: damaggio

I'll give that a try. I do eventually move the UVs over to sit just in the top right square. I just like to spread out as I map them. It's never been a problem with laying out a grid texture in the past.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

I tried doing a new automatic projection, it's still the same problem unfortunately. Moving the UV shells around in the UV Editor has no effect on the layout of the texture. And I still can't see the grid texture in the UV Editor.

The original asset I bought had it's own textures and mental ray applied. It came as an FBX file which I imported into Maya. I deleted all of the texture shaders in the Hypershader. Is there some other texture, or mental ray connections I need to break before I can apply my own textures?

I've never had these problems when working with my own models. This is my first time working with a purchased asset. I don't know if it's because I imported it as an FBX, but nothing was very straightforward or working as it should. The cameras were all messed up and I couldn't see some of the geometry from planar views. All of the geometry faces had messy shading to them and the edges looked smoothed. However, when I added new geometry it was clean and crisp like it should be.

That said, I still have the same UV problem when trying to map the new geometry I created. I can squash and stretch the UV shells in the Editor as much as I want, but it has no effect on the layout of the texture.

Any advice you have would be great. 🙂

Message 5 of 10
damaggio

you might have two UV maps....hold on

Message 6 of 10
damaggio

look here...

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Yes. It has four names there. How do I delete them?
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Just figured it out in the set editor. I'll see if that makes a difference now.
Message 9 of 10
damaggio

Good, you have to transfer them or delete ...is a bit hard but in the end should be only one map...although sometimes it might be usefull for something...i never found use of having 2  maps for a single mesh so far.

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

It worked! Thank you! So happy it wasn't a buggy file. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report