Community
Maya LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Normals Not Exporting Properly to FBX/DAE

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
peafwlweaver
2493 Views, 6 Replies

Normals Not Exporting Properly to FBX/DAE

I'm back with another issue that's causing a slight headache. Hopefully someone will have the answer. 

Before the 2016 update, when I exported my models to FBX to convert to DAE with the FBX converter, hard/smooth edges exported fine.

Now, I'm getting all smoothed, awkward edges when trying to bring my model into Second Life where I work.

Here's what it should look like, within Maya.

And what it ends up looking like once imported...

Do I have my options set wrong for export? Or is there one I'm missing?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
peafwlweaver
in reply to: peafwlweaver

I'm also getting the following error now just trying to copy and paste the model, even after completely restarting Maya.

http://i.grab.la/0531e-47dab7f7-2ddd-473a-be0c-b054886ab93e.png
Message 3 of 7
christiej

Hi - the copy/paste issue is also reported on another thread.  We are following up on that.  Please see http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-lt-general/copy-paste-error-in-maya-lt-2016/td-p/5560166

Message 4 of 7
jengigli

Hi peafwlweaver, I work in SL too. I hadn't tried to upload anything since 2016 came out, but just did a quick test after seeing your post. Everything looks ok for me so far. Did you change the FBX version to 2013 before exporting?

Message 5 of 7
remimcgill
in reply to: jengigli

Hi there,

I think what is wrong here is that you have the "smooth mesh" option on.  I would reccommend turning this off.  This normally takes the mesh preview subdivision you see in the viewport (triggered with 1, 2 & 3 keys) and bakes it into the actual base mesh of the object.

Instead turn OFF "Smooth Mesh"  and turn ON "Smoothing Groups"

Let me know how it goes,

Thanks,

Remi

Message 6 of 7
peafwlweaver
in reply to: remimcgill

When I do this (or pretty much anything now it seems) when converting to DAE and trying to upload to Second Life, it tells me there's nothing in the file and throws an error. 😕

Exporting as an obj, converting to FBX then to DAE seems to sort of work, but adds an extra material into the mix that I can't directly work with.
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Yay . I was trying to export some boots to SL , thought i had used the fbx > dae converter to do this before. So  i tried Obj>dae and was having more or less the sme problem. Texture was way out of whack and the surface looked multi faceted.

I did manage to get the job done by obj>dae through blender .

After seeing this i tried fbx>dae converter again.  Turned on smooth groups in options and set it to version 2013. (was 2016)

Worked out fine other than the scaling was way out of whack  , but thats easy to fix and i might have checked something wrong.

I Exported my mesh as a selection to FBX.

I had smooth groups selected , and Referenced  Assests content  in the fbx export options.

Down in FBX File Format  changed that from 2016 to 2013.

Then used FBX converter 2013 dropped in the fbx and selected Dae as output.

Using MayaLT 2016.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report