Community
Maya LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create a Sphere from a Cube that is editable.

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
3263 Views, 2 Replies

How do I create a Sphere from a Cube that is editable.

I was following the Youtube videos for 2015 that model the cartoon cat. I get to the point where I have to model the head, using a sphere made from a cube.

In 2016 under the > Attribute Editor for the > pCubeShape1 tab > Smooth Mesh section.

To get the cube to turn to the sphere you have to subdivide it by 4. But even changing the Preview Division Levels to 4 and checking Display Subdivisions. It doesn't change the cube.

To change it I have to check the Smooth Mesh Preview. Now this looks like what I want. But you can't Scuplt the sphere off the the subdivision. Only the original edges or vertexs of the cube. 

But if I do the same thing with a sphere I can edit the subdivided vertexs.

Thanks for any help or advice.cubesphereissue.JPG

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
remimcgill
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi there, so there are two different kinds of subdivision, viewport preview subdivision and actual mesh subdivision which changes the actual base mesh.  Viewport subdivision only affects the look in the viewport and can be accessed with the 1,2 and 3 keys.  The settings you are showing are all for the preview subdivision that actually does not change the base mesh.  You don't normally ever need to tweak the settings you are showing there.

If you actually want more vertices to sculpt with you will Mesh/Smooth this will actually give you more vertices to edit.

If you want to sculpt what I would suggest is to select your object and press the 1 key to put it at 0 viewport subdivision, and add the Mesh/Smooth to your object, then sculpt overtop of this.

Let me know if this works for you,

Thanks,

Remi

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: remimcgill

Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report