Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imported xgen groom files not updating

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
pudbawl
537 Views, 2 Replies

imported xgen groom files not updating

I had a scene become corrupted while I was working on the groom for a creature I was making.  What I have done is import the "creatureFur" collection, it renamed it to "creatureFur1", I then imported the groom for each description, it renamed each one as well, so "bodyFur" became "bodyFur1".  All seems fine at first but I'm getting odd behavior.

When I make changes to the groom and then update the primitives for a preview they remain at what the groom was when I imported it and don't pick up my latest changes.  For the folders and file structure I've noticed that in the collections folder for the project it has created the "creatureFur1" folder for the collection, but it is empty, it has no description or groom files.  What it did was it created the new descriptions folders in the original collection folder, so "bodyFur1" was created in the "creatureFur" folder.

Have I missed a step while importing?  It is reading the groom I imported no problem, but is there a way to have the xgen tools properly collect the files it is using and store them in the active collection?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
joelgvfx
in reply to: pudbawl

I'd love to know the answer to this too... I'm in a similar situation.

I can groom the yellow guides, but then when I click preview collection, I get no change. 

any help appreciated.

Message 3 of 3
tabunker
in reply to: pudbawl

Hey!

I might have found a solution!  I was experiencing the same problem in that xgen wasn't rendreing my grooming changes.  I think one of the issues was with naming.  Pudbawl, you said it changed your collection to bodyfur1.  Mine also added a 1 to my collection name.  So here are some things I tried that eventually led to a solution

1. Check the File Path for your xgen collection: In the XGen window>Collection>Edit File Path...

- Make sure it is looking for your most up to date collection.

You can check this by:

2. Reset and import your groom:Grooming>Edit>Reset then File>Import>Grooming

- Navigate to the folder containing Length, Width, Pose, etc. folders and select it.  If the groom is correct, you have the right folder.

3. Preview the xgen in the viewport.  Hopefully it looks like your groom display.

4. Good time to save as a new version.

And now try to render again.  This solved my issue, which I still believe boiled down to a naming issue.

Hope this helped!

- Taylor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report