Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Browser Download of 2016 won't extract, nothing happens

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
j_cracknell
7458 Views, 19 Replies

Browser Download of 2016 won't extract, nothing happens

There are 3 download/install options, all fail for me.

The "best" option the browser download, downloaded these:

Autodesk_3ds_Max_2016_EFGJKS_Win_64bit_dlm_001_002.sfx.exe

Autodesk_3ds_Max_2016_EFGJKS_Win_64bit_dlm_002_002.sfx.exe

Run them, asks for Directory C:/Autodesk, hit "OK", says initializing then it dissappears and thats it. nothing happens.

Previously mention of other methods all says communication failure.

How the heck does Autodesk manage to make installing Max a worse experience year after year.

Tired all the suggested routes, Disabling Firewall, Anti-Virus, Win UAC, etc... etc...

Getting closer to ditching this for Modo guys, sort your game out yeah

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
j_cracknell
in reply to: j_cracknell

It gets weirder...

No response from support...

Then I get the Go Get it, yay 2016 Autodesk emailer.

Log into my sub account and it isn't even there anymore, dissappeared, can't even attempt to download it now, hahha

You guys stink at product launches, why not do a Beta test next time, get it ironed out, then email the world.

Message 3 of 20
j_cracknell

Support is helping me with this now
Message 4 of 20
jessica.t

Hi James - Sorry for the install trouble but I'm glad support is now assisting you. Be sure to let us know if you need anything else!

Jessica Thrasher
Message 5 of 20
mark
in reply to: jessica.t

I am having exactly the same problem - it's so frustrating!

James, can you explain how you resolved this?

Support - can you help me?!

many thanks

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: mark

Me too! plz use the forum and tell us how to fix this crap.

I can't even find the "contact support" that let's me do so. I only get useless suggestions.

Grumpy old man

Message 7 of 20
j_cracknell
in reply to: mark

Hi, I'm still working on it myself, downloaded a zip that support setup in the drop box they use. In the meanwhile someone at cgsociety was able to get theirs to work.

They said if you are using Chrome that disables the 2nd file, but that if you turn off the popup blocking in Chrome it will allow both files to download. (Worth a try)

When I tried with firefox the second file was getting a dropped download, not sure why. Check and see if the data of your download is correct as below.

Support suggests:

I suspect that at least one of the parts didn't download completely. Can you check the sizes of both files? To do that, right-click on the file and select Properties. This is what you should see for the size of each file:

Autodesk_3ds_Max_2016_EFGJKS_Win_64bit_dlm_001_002.sfx.exe - 1.96 GB (2,115,402,288 bytes)
Autodesk_3ds_Max_2016_EFGJKS_Win_64bit_dlm_002_002.sfx.exe - 1.32 GB (1,423,933,168 bytes)

Message 8 of 20
j_cracknell
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Carl,

Here is how to start a ticket:

Login to your subscription account and click "Support" Top Right of screen.
Then I went to "Installation & Configuration" > Desktop Subscription > Submit a Case

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/contactus

I'm still working on my own install, will update when I get there.

Message 9 of 20
j_cracknell

OK Success:

If the recent launch methods didn't work for you, like me, then I suggest contacting support for the Zip in box option.

So after downloading the zip file that support setup for me I tried to Extract it using Windows, it wouldn't Unzip it.

I tried a second time using an App called 7-Zip file manager and it does Extract it.

Ensure you extract it to "C:/Autodesk or you will get the message that the directory Name is too long.

Double click the "Setup.exe" and it'll install as one expects.

Message 10 of 20
Anonymous

Well the web is all is a total failure.

I downloaded the two zip and extracted them. But as I try to run the install I get a error message after I have pyped the serial nr.

says "detected that the following programs are running

3dsmax.exe

Well I do have a background process called 3dsmax.exe (from the 3ds max 2014 folder) running and I have tried to shut it down using the (can't remember what it's called in english running a swedish system) event manager but it just keeps starting up again after a second. I can't kill the process.

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous

Was the Vray spawner that was in the way.
Message 12 of 20
Anonymous

Installer was running fine...

---------------------------
Autodesk 3ds Max 2016
Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.
OK   

NOooooooooooooo! not ok.

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous

Well I knew there was something wrong with my BB on this machine since I installed 2013 on it this fall. But I was kind of hoping that a fresh install on top would fix that.

Do I really have to remove my entire 3dsmax setup from this machine to get BB to work?

Earlier installations had the option to install BB seperately. Now it's just one massive install? I can't find the custom install button that allows me to concentrate on the program that is not working.

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous

So I tried to remove BB2013. Nope that was actually not possible. Got an error.

I then ran a repair on it that worked and after that I was able to remove it.

Ran a new install on Max 2016 and voila! It works.

That was not one of the recomendations I got from support.

Message 15 of 20
mark

Hi James

Thanks very much for your feedback - much appreciated

I tried repeatedly to download the first zip file (supposedly 2Gb) and each version came in at a slightly different size, which made me suspicious. That's using Firefox, btw.

I have 7-Zip installed already, so I'll press tech support for an alternative downoad link. They still haven't got back to me from last Friday, though!!

Message 16 of 20
damon

I had the same problems.

I use firefox as my main browser. I switched to Internet Explorer and it downloaded properly and installed.

Hope this helps.

D

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous

tis is my second download ( 6gb ) wasted. I will try once more and I am going torrent affterwards screw you adobe

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous

Another option for people that don't want to download the full thing again. I transfered the browser download files to another computer where it extracted fine. Then I transfered the extracted files back to the computer I needed it on and installed.

Message 19 of 20
ritunjoy

RENAME it....make the title Small and Must be samee for both Exrtactions for eg <( Autodesk_3ds_Max_2016_001_002.sfx.exe)

Message 20 of 20
ritunjoy

RENAME, and then Run the .exe file. it WORKS
for eg (Autodesk_3ds_max_2016_001_002.sfx.exe
Autodesk_3ds_max_2016_002_002.sfx.exe )

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report