Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX 970 Iray renderer doesn't recognize the GPU

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
ben
Explorer
1159 Views, 3 Replies

GTX 970 Iray renderer doesn't recognize the GPU

I'm having some trouble getting iray working with my new GTX 970.

Ever since I got 3DS Max 2015 I've been considering buying a Nvidia card with CUDA cores so that I'd be able to take advantage of the iray renderer, previously I'd been running off of crossfire with 2 Radeon 7950's which was of course not supported. Today I decided to take the plunge and I went out and got a GTX 970 which according to what I've read can be used with iray.

I put the card in my computer earlier but left one of the two 7950's in the computer since I read somewhere (not sure where) that for activeshade with iray the activeshade and viewports both need separate video cards. Although I'm certainly getting an improvement in the viewports when they use the 970, Max doesn't recognize the 970 under render setup's hardware resources tab. Instead I get the "no support CUDA devices detected" message I was getting with my old video cards.

I've tried setting the viewport rendering driver to nitrous using the 7950 (still got the error) and after that didn't work I swapped the viewport driver over to nitrous with the 970 (I was hoping it would work) but it still wouldn't recognize the 970 as a CUDA device.

I even tried the instructions here (just ctrl-f search iray) on how to get the 970 working with Max 2015 SP2 and got no results.

While poking around the forums I saw some other users with older video cards who looked like they were having similar recognition problems with the iray renderer on the SP2 but as far as I can tell I wouldn't even be able to roll back the service packs/ reinstall Max since the 970 doesn't have any support on SP2 or prior.

I have the 3DS Max 2015 service packs two and three as well as extensions one and two and I currently have a fresh install of the Nvidia video drivers, which is version 347.88.

This is my first time using video cards from separate manufacterers in the same computer so as far as I know that could have something to do with it (it just doesn't seem too likely to me) I'm really lost with this and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ben
3DS Max 2016
I7-3770K/ 16GB RAM / GTX 970 FTW / Win 8.1 64bit
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ben
Explorer
in reply to: ben

Hi all,

I just installed the 2016 version of 3DS Max and it still doesn't recognize the 970 as a usable video card.

Ben
3DS Max 2016
Message 3 of 4
danko
in reply to: ben

Hi,

mixed AMD / Nvidia setups are a bit tricky as far as I know.

Try to just use the Nvidia card and see if it's recognized then...

Message 4 of 4
ben
Explorer
in reply to: danko

Ah perfect, thank you. 

I just gave that a try and it looks like the AMD card was interferring with it, I unplugged the 7950 and now the 970 is recognized as a CUDA device.

Ben
3DS Max 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report