Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6
qholmes
1927 Views, 5 Replies

Dual xeon slow?

I have two new Dell T5610 workstations. Dual 10 core processors. But they are very slow. In fact rendering they are just a bit slower than my 3 year old i7? 

Can anyone shed any light on that?

Q

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dgorsman
in reply to: qholmes

Xeon processors aren't inherently faster.  Speed depends on a number of factors:

What are the clock speeds on the processors?

How much RAM is on each system?  Is the dual 10 core (20 physical/40 with hyperthreading) being starved for RAM?

Which render is being used (CPU or GPU)?

Any other performance differences, such as SSD, multiple RAID drives?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 6
qholmes
in reply to: dgorsman

Yes i get that. I chose this configuration based on the specs of a BOXX machine. i had the benchmarks for their systems. And even though i figured they configure them well and they might be a bit faster... these two machines seem to be about 5 times slower or more than one of their machines.. which does not make sense.

the processors are.E5 2670 v2. So there are 20 physical cores and 40 virtual. Although i have Hyperthreading turned off as i was told by Autodesk that should be faster. Speed is 2.5 ghz. One machine has 64 gigs. 8 gigs in 8 slots. The other has 16 gig.. not sure on the config in that one. But they render the same.... well actually the 64 gig one is about 1% faster. It is the main workstation. It has an SSD for main files and a raid for storage.

Not much loaded on these machines. They have been used about 100 hours probably.

CPU renders. I tested using MR. although i actually use Final Render for all my work.

Currently use Max 2013. Which i think is  a dog. But i am locked to it for corporate reasons. They will upgrade to 2016 after they do internal testing of it for a while. Every 3 versions.

Q

Message 4 of 6
qholmes

Oh, here is a bit more info...

I asked the Cebas group to run a project file and do a render for me. Their 12 core machine.. almost the same frequency a touch slower i think... was 6 times faster than my machine. My machine should technically be almost twice as fast as theirs but is 6 times slower... 

Now..... he is running Max 2016 i think... Maybe 2015. And is using a new improved version of the render engine that is for the newer processors like this... I am excited about this possibility but i have a bad feeling that it is not the answer.. I hope it is... but really i started this post.. In hopes....

That maybe there is something that someone has come across before where a machine is rendering very slow.. a setting or option or something.

Or maybe it just needs the new render engine to work well. But they are working on their 2016 release i think so are very busy at the moment.

Q

Message 5 of 6
thie0183

Did you ever get anywhere with this issue?  We purchased new workstations with single xeon processors that are performing slower than our lower benchmarked i7s!  We've gone back and forth with Dell to no end.  Both CPUs have passed every diagnostic test out there.

Adam Thiele, PE
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2016
HP Z240
Intel i7-6700K
32 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro M4000
Message 6 of 6
qholmes
in reply to: thie0183

hehe nope sorry i did not. I have two dual cpu xeons and the speed is
really not great. If you find anything out let me know.
Thanks
Q

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report