Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAYA LT 2016 Presented. Bye bye Mudbox.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
sergimen2001
3191 Views, 17 Replies

MAYA LT 2016 Presented. Bye bye Mudbox.

I have found the next video in the Autodesk Channel in youtube:

Looking that, and the sculpt modules within, I only can say one thing:

Thanks for Kill Mudbox, Autodesk.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Sutrebla01
in reply to: sergimen2001

I wonder if only portions of mudbox are brought over. I would hope it would still have the retopo and ptex, and layer system.  Im feeling very very very sad.  But im holding out till we know more.  

Message 3 of 18
Steve_Curley

When you have some facts about the future of Mudbox feel free to post them, until then this constant flow of unsubstatiated guesswork is nothing more than FUD and is not particularly welcome.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 4 of 18
Sutrebla01
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Hi Steve,

Thanks for replying.  I would love to have more positive talk, and more facts... But as it stands the forums and the community here are very quiet.  Autodesk itself seems invisible here.  It is making people really angry, and it should not be ignored.  If you want to kill threads, or hush conversation then this will become an even more desolate place then it already is.  I think there is a lot of anger because we seem forgotten. 

I really really really want to hear more what is in store for the future, even if it's that the product is no longer supported as a standalone client.  I would love to hear anything, even something like hey we will have updates soon about whats in store with mudbox.  I am sure they are figuring stuff out, but they really should have better community management.  It's a lovely program and has made me very happy to use it.

Anyway rant over (for now)

Message 5 of 18
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Sutrebla01

My post was not aimed at you, but at sergimen2001 (look at the top of the post where it says "in reply to").

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 6 of 18
Sutrebla01
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Hi Steve, 

I understand.  But I was taking a moment, to reply to the bigger picture of the state of things here.  Sergiman has shown a little more emotion showing us how he feels with the lack of notice/updates.  But I think he isnt the only one who feels this way.  I believe there are many more who are just as angry but arent posting.  I am trying to post more and be a little more proactive here, but it just doesn't seem like much traction is happening.  As far as the 2016 lt video - I had a different reaction,  I was a bit excited with the teaser and really want to know more, and see what is included with the sculpting portion.  I give my hats off to the devlopers because im sure there is a ton of legacy code trying to combine and make it all work with maya. 

With that said, people please post more 😉

Message 7 of 18
Sutrebla01

Take a look at this screen closely for a moment.  I am impressed! 

http://www.autodesk.com/content/dam/autodesk/www/products/autodesk-maya-lt/images/features-2016/buil...

I can't wait to use it!

Message 8 of 18

Sutrebla, you have put it very well, there seems to be very little in regards to building up Mudbox as a new and key product. It seems to be slipping into the wayside, and with updates like this to existing front-end products, it is easy to deduce that Mudbox probably does not have a long future ahead of it.  If Autodesk were truely keen on keeping both fully alive there would surely be more involvement in building the Mudbox community as there was for Maya.  As you may have read in other posts I've been attempting to work the the SDK, which has many bugs I've had to work around, with no way of contacting the devs to explain the bugs other than this forum which we all know goes unnoticed.  It is good to see it being moved across to Maya, however the $10 a month deal with Mudbox is great and it would be sad to see that dissapear, and although Maya LT is also good value, for money concious artists it can provide that extra hurdle.

James

Message 9 of 18
Ianucci

How dare users speculate about the future of mudbox! Maybe if autodesk showed any interest in its userbase people might not be so concerned.

The last few versions of mudbox have been embarassingly under-developed. One can only imagine what kind of features we might have now had skymatter not sold out. The more neglected Mudbox becomes the more users migrate to zbrush or other software. That is aside from the idiots like me that just cant get their head around the borderline abstract morass that passes for the Zbrush UI.

Message 10 of 18
Sutrebla01
in reply to: Ianucci

So just saw this little snippet from http://www.cgchannel.com/2015/03/autodesk-announces-maya-lt-2016/

"Mudbox-like brush-based sculpting, plus brush-based UV workflows
Key features in Maya LT 2016 include a new brush-based sculpting toolset based on Mudbox, Autodesk’s dedicated sculpting app. It includes falloff controls and stamp effects, though there’s no support for layers yet."

So it already seems like a lesser mudbox in some aspects.  No mention of Stencil projection or texture stamps, vdm's etc.  Time will tell I guess. 

Anyone else find any more info? 

Message 11 of 18
s03241

There is no evidence that Mudbox will vanish.

But this is an evidence that Mudbox is promoted to be used even with sculpting possibilities both in Maya LT and 123d sculpt+.

Published 17 mars 2015

http://www.autodesk.com/campaigns/maya-lt-indie

3D Game Character Creation

From concepting to exporting into the game engine: 7 steps to building your next great 3D character

Infographic.

Message 12 of 18
Sutrebla01
in reply to: s03241

Ok - checked it out 2016 and the sculpting.... So far it's been a painful experience.   It is not able to handle my higher res mesh, and the sculpting tools have been a bit buggy.  Anyone else have any experience with it?  I would love to see someone stream it.  Perhaps Autodesk could post up a video walkthrough of the new sculpting features.

Message 13 of 18
pshwayka

You may want to post these questions in the Maya LT forum...you'll probably find more people there who have used the new toolset.

Message 14 of 18
FalconCrest
in reply to: pshwayka

They did say Mudbox-like, in other words, close to but not exactly the same, possible also it can't handle the polygon volume as the stand-alone mudbox can handle, I don't foresee Mudbox as EOL, unless Maya 2016 delivers something we can't imagine, otherwise I think, the artisan tools that were in all previous versions of Maya are gone in 2016. If you are comfortable with Mudbox as much as I am, you won't be learning anything new. It's beneficial if you are a Mudbox user.
Message 15 of 18
pshwayka
in reply to: FalconCrest

I agree.  Also, the guy in the video used the phrase "high level sculpting." I'm pretty sure the purpose of the sculpting tools shown here is to let you get the shape of your model to the point where you can send it to Mudbox for final detailing without having to do as much back-and-forth between the two programs.

Message 16 of 18
Sutrebla01
in reply to: pshwayka

That would be fantastic if that were the case (quickly generating model before going to mudbox ) - But with my early testing and fumbling - It just seems more trouble then help. Granted it's probably a huge amount of work to get these tools working in Maya, however it feels to me that it's more of a bandaid solution to getting a mesh ready for mudbox. I feel it just diverts the amount of time spent in one program to another, it's not reeealllly speeding up the workflow. If only they spent the time adding a quick dynamesh type of tool in mudbox. I am holding out hope for some news for MB, but have not been reassured so far.
Message 17 of 18
kirk.clawson

I don't think this should be taken as any kind of official statement, but in the Maya LT 2016 help documentation here, in the "What's new in Maya LT 2016" section under "What's New in General", about half way down that page, they mention improvements in the "Send to Mudbox" feature, which, and I quote "You'll need an equivalent version of Mudbox (Mudbox 2016 since you're using Maya LT 2016) for this feature to work"

Fruedian slip? Confirmation of Mudbox 2016? Who knows?

Message 18 of 18
gz5sn7

And now mudbox 2016 is presented, alive and kicking. End of this thread?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report