Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How hard is it to learn CAD after REVIT?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
2472 Views, 9 Replies

How hard is it to learn CAD after REVIT?

I could be missing a thread entirely, but from what I've seen everyone is asking "how to transition from CAD to REVIT", whereas I'm in the opposite position. I've taken two college courses on REVIT, as well as continuing education via textbooks that will be culminating in my taking of the professional exam...anyways, now that that ramble is over back to my question.

I've recently started looking for junior position jobs, but the vast majority of them require CAD, with REVIT being a bonus, but not necessary.

Now, having a working and developing knowledge of REVIT, how hard is it to learn CAD?

Thanks!!!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

It is not that hard.

I learned Auto CAD very long ago mostly by myself but, these days with new course syllabus, exercises and advanced teaching methods it's not hard at all to learn Auto CAD. With today's teaching methods and technology you will be good in Auto CAD after semester one. At least that is the case in our college. Students are learning CAD in semester one and from semester two we will start teaching REVIT. The result is very great. It’s confusing in first few classes but eventually they will be good at both.

Message 3 of 10
sureshchotrani

Would like you to Join Autodesk Education student expert community here

If you have done cetification in Revit, you will get some points. Then you can start learning from CAD learning, freely available there.

This tutorial are very good for beginner & advance learning.

www.bim-3d-4d-5d.blogspot.com
www.bim-navisworks.blogspot.com
Twitter @SureshChotrani
Give KUDOs if happy & accept solution if post provides solution
Message 4 of 10

If you are referring to CAD as 2D drafting, I would advise you to just learn the very basics of AutoCAD, such as how to open a drawing, take some dimensions, export, and import. No more. If all the jobs you find require CAD, you might be loooking at small companies, and it would be better for you to target the bigger companies, who have more interesting projects, more oportunities for growing and learning, and more likely, better salaries. CAD is nowadays almost an obsolete tecnologies in regards to architectural work.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 10
octavio2
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alfredo said:

"CAD is nowadays almost an obsolete tecnologies in regards to architectural work."

I would say that it might not be quite completely obsolete yet, however, once you begin learning Revit, then CAD begins to feel like an anachronism .

Message 6 of 10
duncan.lithgow
in reply to: octavio2

I was once an advanced AutoCAD user. I found that I forgot a lot quickly. As far as I can tell this is because everything in AutoCAD is named and have shortcuts that are about drafting processes - and not about buildings. I find it much easier to remember things in Revit. But I do miss the extensive and powerful shortcuts of AutoCAD. In Revit my mouse gets a lot more mileage. but I agree with those who've written just learn the basics and don't spend to much time on AutoCAD, unless you can't get other work of course.

I don't agree with Alfredo that larger firms necessarily give more experience. In a smaller firm everyone has to have a broader range of competances. SO I think a smaller firm is a great place to start. Maybe you can help then transition to Revit? (Please, please get some expert help if you take that on)

Message 7 of 10

...and, more important for you than Cad or Revit, is to continue studying the technical aspects of the profession. Structures, building systems, materials and methods, codes, detailing, etc.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 8 of 10

Absolutely agree with Alfredo - keep in mind that that is always a/the priority.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Thank you all for responding! I was away from my computer for a little while, as is evident by my response delay, but I'm happy that you all replied!

I'm feeling more confident in my choice to learn revit, as I was feeling disheartened when I would look at every job posting and freelance website and they would be looking for cad 8/10 times.

I have intentions to take the certified revit professional certification soon, just to validate my current skills to potential employers. I'm going to download cad, and play with it, learn the basics and what not, then apply it to freelance jobs that I want to apply for.

!!
Message 10 of 10
chrisplyler

Well cad, in the general context, includes Revit. Revit is just much more than that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report