Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a custom sphere shape

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
sosaj64
843 Views, 4 Replies

Creating a custom sphere shape

Hi, I'm trying to create a sphere looking similar to Yin Yang symbol, but Im confused on how to get those kind of curves on a surface like that. Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
zhanganchun
in reply to: sosaj64

You can create a 2d sketch with YinYang symbol first, and make sure the center of the symbol is the same with your sphere.

Then you can use Split Face command(or split body if you need different bodies) under "modify" tab to split the sphere with the curves in 2d sketch.

After that, you can set different colors to those split surfaces.

Hope this helps or give you some idea. Thanks.

Terry

Software Engineer - Fusion 360
Message 3 of 5
sosaj64
in reply to: zhanganchun

Thanks, I was able to split the sphere in halves with the 2d sketch but, I'm lost on how to do the 2 circles. I want to engrave them into the sphere about 1/2 inch while still keeping its shape. I've tried creating a sketch 1/2 inch from sphere surface, then extrude and cut the remaining material, but it wasnt the effect I was going for. 

Message 4 of 5
zhanganchun
in reply to: sosaj64

For the 2 circles, you can try Extrude with Extend-To option to do this kind of things. I attached a image to show that.

1. create another Inner Sphere as a Extend-To tool(1/2 inch shorter in radius) 
  2. Create a Sketch parallel to the plane where you want to engrave.
  3. Use Extrude Command, in the Extend to Option, choose "To", and select the InnerSphere as the termination. Make sure the operation is Cut
  4. You can add some tapper angles for Extrude.

After those steps, your original sphere will be cut with that kind of shapes.

ExtrudeToCut.jpg

Terry

Software Engineer - Fusion 360
Message 5 of 5
sosaj64
in reply to: zhanganchun

I was able to get the effect I was going for with the inner sphere. Thanks alot zhanganchun.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report