Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vertices become red and locked?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
JHburton1
7616 Views, 6 Replies

Vertices become red and locked?

Hey everyone,

I was hoping someone could help me with a weird issue I'm having. 

I'm finishing up a joint based facial rig and I'm ready to start crreating corrective blendshapes. The issue I'm having is that when I duplicate the skinned geometry (delete history and unlock all channels) and apply a cluster deformer to it, the cluster does not affect the vertices of the mesh. When I go to paint the weight of the cluster it has weights asssgined to the mesh but the verts aren't moving or deforming with the cluster.

Interestingly, the vertices become Red when going into vertex mode, not the urual purple colour. 

When I apply sculpted blendshapes to the skinned mesh, verts are also not affected by the blendshape. (this also happens with the duplicated version of the skinned mesh)

Can anyone point me in the right direction with this? Here is an image of the red verts in case it might help anyone, if you need any more info please let me know! 🙂 (please note that no verts are selected)

Red verts.jpg

EDIT: I decided to add a picture to explain my issue a little better - hope this helps!

explanation.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
tdHendrix
in reply to: JHburton1

Hi, this is a long shot, but the only thing I can think of to check is to go to Window->Relationship Editors->Deformer Sets and make sure the vertices are assigned to the cluster deformer. If you expand the cluster name on the left side of the window you should see all the vertices it's assigned to.

Other than that I'm not sure, never seen red vertices before Smiley Happy

Greg Hendrix - Senior Technical Animator
LinkedIn : Twitter
Message 3 of 7
JHburton1
in reply to: tdHendrix

Hey Greg,

Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately it didn't help :(. The cluster has the verts assigned and still not working. I should also mention I guess that I can still select individual verts and move them in case this helps at all.

Cheers!

James

Message 4 of 7
tdHendrix

Try exporting the model as an OBJ, import it into a new scene, and see if the cluster works. Maybe something is still connected to it from the skinning and all that.

Just noticed my vertices turn red after skinning a model to a skeleton. I'm color blind so never noticed it before 🙂

If you're able to upload the scene I can take a look at it.

Message 5 of 7
JHburton1

Hey Greg,

Thanks again for the reply. It seems the problem is bigger than I thought. It appear I can't get any Blendshapes to work at all. Even when I crete a new cube  and try to apply a simple blendshape to that it doesn't work. I've uploaded my file here: 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3YQ0nLNYkxZfjV2NlhTUV9PZDNrSmpBNXRDV25DdDdsTC1uT1pUZVZaUTFSY2cwNW...

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this, it's very much appreciated!!

EDIT: Blendshapes not working at all, even in a new scene with simple primitives... Using Maya 2015 education in case that helps! 🙂

Message 6 of 7
tdHendrix

The blend shapes and clusters work for me (also using Maya 2015). I attached a file where I added a cluster to each of the head models and applied the blend shape to the cube. Open up the scene and see if they work for you too. That way we'll know if it's Maya acting weird or just your settings.

Message 7 of 7
JHburton1

Hey Greg,

Thanks again for all your help. The file you sent me still didn't work, so I decided to delete my prefs folder and now both blendshapes and clusters are working. I still wonder what it actually was but at least I can get on with my work now :). 

Ccheers!!

James

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report