Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2015 crashes when selecting joint.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
1342 Views, 11 Replies

Maya 2015 crashes when selecting joint.

I have Maya 2015 SP6, I have enough horse power and the scene is not complicated, adjusting joints (appling rotation or translation) Maya keeps crashing. Basic work around move save, move save, move crash start again move save. Same scene with 2014 move joints all day long and nothing is wrong. Anyone else have this problem if there a fix?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
MrMeireles
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you tryed to rollback to SP5? Just an idea. 

Remember to share your knowledge. That's good for everyone!

MrMeireles

[Maya 2018.6/2020.4]
[Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Intel i9 9900K 32GB]
[Asus TUF RTX 3060 Ti]
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: MrMeireles

It did it with SP5 as well, I am back to 2014 for animation.

Message 4 of 12
MrMeireles

Maybe your file got corrupted at some point. Other possibility is relayted to your videocard's driver.

MrMeireles

[Maya 2018.6/2020.4]
[Asus TUF RTX 3060 Ti]
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

The file is okay I tested that, I created basic scene went with the same parameter on two different machines and got the same result. Basically I am afraid to do any animation in 2015 and am doing it 2014, I want to use 2015 but it is not functioning as expected I am not sure if this is something Autodesk has look at but it should be addressed. I am not keen on going with cloud subscription if they can’t fix 2015 as I think 2016 will bring over the same problem. I am at a loss right now to even know how to sort this.

Message 6 of 12
MrMeireles

You must be overlooking something. I'm not having a single problem with 2015 SP5 besides its unjustifiables limitations.
I could test the file in my PC if you want.

mrmeireles@hotmail.com

MrMeireles

[Maya 2018.6/2020.4]
[Asus TUF RTX 3060 Ti]
Message 7 of 12
rflannery

Does your scene use animation layers?  If so, is it crashing when you select a joint that is in an animation layer other than the base animation layer?  On rare occasions we get files using animation layers that somehow become corrupted.

(Hmmm... this may not be your problem though.  I just tried opening one of our test files that was crashing before.  It is no longer crashing.  We upgraded to 2015 SP6 recently.  But you said that is the version you were using.  So I guess it is probably not the same problem.)

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: rflannery

File is fine, basically I was animating a wire going through specific path, wire was controled by lattice lattice was control by joints 2015 would crash almost everytime I adjusted a joint, 2014 I could move all day without a crashing. This is still an issue and I have not touched 2015 for animation agian...well for everything really I am using 2015 very sparingly until I find a solution.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

I am finding same problem with maya 2015/16.. Have you found solution yet ? 

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

Hi fahimalavi,

I did a software update and the problem disappeared so I would see if there is a software update versus Service patch. It was getting really bad, I could make a new scene put just a cylinder with couple joints and it would crash on the second movement every time. If you click on the Maya icon in the lower left corner sometimes there is an update; this one I did and it fixed the problem and things are up and running. I found during testing 2016 did not have the same issues nor did 2014 just 2015.

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

2016 is doing the same thing. ..very frustrating.

Message 12 of 12
AlanSerra
in reply to: rflannery

Hi there,

I actually have a problem with a maya file, and it's got to do with the animation layer I created there. I was working on the scene when we had a problem with our network where all our referenced files are. So I saved the file locally. I had created one animation layer beside the base animation layer on that scene.

The next day, I opened the same file and as soon as I either selected the animation layer or any rig control contained in that layer, maya crashed. It won't let me do anything that involves the animation layer before crashing. Tried replacing the referenced rig in question with another rig, but it crashes all the same.

The maya version I'm using is 2015 Extension 1 + SP6

I'd really appreciate some help, if you know of a solution for my problem, as you mentioned in your answer you knew about that very same issue.

Thanks a lot!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report