Community
3ds Max Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lightwave-style 'timeslice' capability?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
KenTanker0us
452 Views, 6 Replies

Lightwave-style 'timeslice' capability?

I used Lightwave for many years and one of the things I truly miss from it is the Timeslice Tool in the curve editor. What it did: it allowed you to create a key for all selected channels at the current time. For example, you've got only X and Z pos, Y rot, and whatever else; Timeslice would create a key for all of them.

I've spent a lot of time with Max in the years since, and I have yet to find any capability like this; the closest I've been able to come was by using keyable icons. BUT going through every channel and making it keyable/not keyable is a PAIN.

Please friends, if there's a functionality I've missed out on, point it out? This is a badly needed functionality if it isn't there.

Thanks as always

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
LenDoublet
in reply to: KenTanker0us

I've been using Max since it came out - as far as I know that functionality does not exist. Great suggestion to implement though!
Message 3 of 7
KenTanker0us
in reply to: LenDoublet

Yeah the only way to 'simulate' the timeslice tool is to go through all of your channels and set them keyable/non-keyable and use the key filters and Set Key mode. This method works, but it sure would be nice if Max had something like this.

Hmm, think I'll head over to scriptspot.

Message 4 of 7
CAMedeck

Can this be done using Dope Sheet?

I can guaranteee you there is a way.  A coworker had been animating some obejcts in a file for me a while back.  I discovered that at certain times, there were keyframes added to some objects in every possible track.  Every one.  If it was a spline object, there was a keyframe for the renderable spline settings, for every vertex in the spline, absolutely everything.  No idea how he did it, but we suspect he was keying in Dope Sheet.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
paulneale

This might help. 

setKeyableTracks.jpg

http://www.penproductions.ca/scripts/setKeyableTracks/index.htm

Paul Neale

http://paulneale.com

Paul Neale

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
KenTanker0us
in reply to: paulneale

Help from The Master....is always welcome. Yes this will help with setting Keyables, which is an excellent partial workaround. I think you would agree, Paul, that the timeslice functionality would be a great addition to the toolset? At any rate, thanks very much for the script. Yuda man.
Message 7 of 7
paulneale

I would have to see exactly what LW was doing with that tool but I'm sure that it can be written quite easily for Max just with Max Script. Do you have a screen grab of it in action showing the workflow?

Paul Neale

http://paulneale.com

Paul Neale

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report