Community
3ds Max Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6-axis robot animation

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Marian212
606 Views, 4 Replies

6-axis robot animation

Hello,

I created a 6-axis robot in 3ds Max which looks similar to this one:

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-model-kuka-industrial-robot/740620

The problem is I can't get it to work properly with IK solver.

There's what I've done so far:

I added an extra simple end effector for the 6 axis.

I set up the pivot points for every axis, linked it into hierarchy from end-effector (child) to its base (parent).

In IK menu I deactivated useless axis and added limits to the useful axis. Then I used IK HI solver from end effector to robot's base.

Is it a proper way to make it work? Because it doesn't work properly for me.

Greets.

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
leeminardi
in reply to: Marian212

I think you could use a two bone (three if you include the end-effector) configuration with a HI Solver to get the action you need. I created a tutorial for modeling a 6-bar excavator linkage which you can review here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cm7OP3niwvI

I think some of the concepts I used are applicable to your industrial robot.
~Lee
lee.minardi
Message 3 of 5
Marian212
in reply to: leeminardi

Thanks for reply. I'll try doing it, but is it necessary to use bones? I've read somewhere that one doesn't need to use bones if it comes to HI solver.

Message 4 of 5
leeminardi
in reply to: Marian212

It isn't necessary to use bones. I find using them makes rigging much easier depending on your needs. Bones can present some problems too. I assume you essentially have a three bar open linkage where you want to be able to pull the third bar, the end-effector, to positions you want to key frame. Is this your goal? Can you post a copy of just the robot part of your model? I'd like to experiment with it.
~Lee
lee.minardi
Message 5 of 5
Marian212
in reply to: leeminardi

I just want to move the end-effector which affects all the hierarchy downwards. I sent you the robot in privat message.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report