Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material tutorial problem

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
468 Views, 4 Replies

Material tutorial problem

Just started using Max 2015, going through the tutorials, and have hit a wall on the Applying Materials & Textures one (Army Compound).  I texture the ammo box exactly as they say, the UV map is wrong just as they say, I do as it tells me to fix it (Select UVW Map, Box mapping, set to 2m) and nothing happens to the model.  I rendered it too, and still no difference, the skewed texture stays skewed, it never changes no matter what I do to the Parameters in the Modify section.  What am I doing wrong?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

Rough guess? You missed steps 6 and 7 (in the Cannister section), without which the bitmap won't be displayed on the model.

I just worked through that tutorial, up to and including step 4 of the "Adjusting the mapping" section and it all worked perfectly first time. If you can't sort it, save the scene (as a new name - don't overwrite the original!), Zip it and attach it to a reply.

[edit]Just one thing - make sure you haven't inadvertantly got a sub-object selection (in the Editable Poly) because that will affect the UVWMap above it in the stack.[/edit]

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Thanks for the reply, but I didn't miss any steps - I followed the tutorial to the letter.  Turns out that I finally got it to work by right clicking on the Bitmap (in the material editor) and selecting Update Preview (which isn't mentioned in the tutorial anywhere that I can see).  The Auto Update Preview is selected, Show Shaded Material button is selected, so I don't get why it won't update itself.  Also now, when I change the values for the mapping, I can see the material change on the cannister, which it didn't do before either (no idea why that would be - my PC hasn't changed since two days ago...)

Anyway, thanks for the assistance, and I will soldier on 🙂

Message 4 of 5
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

Well, if in doubt - turn it off and turn it back on again 😄

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Yup, the classic IT fix 😄

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report