Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

still no news about 3ds max 2016?

380 REPLIES 380
Message 1 of 381
12sunflowers
13012 Views, 380 Replies

still no news about 3ds max 2016?

Any announcement or news about 3ds max 2016?

380 REPLIES 380
Message 121 of 381
Tunkali
in reply to: phloog

In my eyes Autodesk can do what they want, they won't shift the mood in the community, even if they want too.

It's already too late. They need a killer feature. But this won't come... maybe in Extension One late in the year.

And then it will have more bugs than starship troopers...

The strategy with annual versions didn't worked. It only works for the shareholders. The developement of such a complex software is not fast enough to satisfy customers. Not without BIG investments. The developement of the yearly versions seems like to have SOMETHING than the right thing.

So they ride the dead horse as long as coins will be pushed out of the cadaver. Maybe a kind of a sick strategy forcing people going to maya. But they lose a big percentage to competitors.

So, what to do?

Some ideas:

1. stopping yearly versions / subscription and just new version numbers for significant features like in the good and ol' days.

2. transparent communication, showing a roadmap, beeing honest to the community

3. lower prices significantly, then I can throw my money on thirdparty developers doing the demanded features and you can concentrate on just fixing bugs on old features and overhauling slowly the whole software...

Message 122 of 381
cresshead
in reply to: Tunkali

it's not out yet...
could be just an early beta that people are seeing stephen gilbert

web www.cresshead.com
tel 07505 741 609

facebook.com/cresshead
stee+cats
http://www.cresshead.com

3dsmax subscription
other s/ware:- Modo Blender Combustion Lightwave Zbrush
system spec:- 6 core i7 3.4ghz, 16gb ram nvidia gtx780 (3gig) ssd c drive windows 8.1 Q how many polys? all of them!
Message 123 of 381
drendir
in reply to: cresshead

You saw the download link right? Did you try it atleast. It looks pretty solid as a release. And they do pack up developing 3 months before shipping. 

I do think it's the real deal. I'm working in the trial version now.

3dstudio max 2016/2017
Windows 7 & 10
Message 124 of 381
jens.diemer

cresshead schrieb:
it's not out yet...
could be just an early beta that people are seeing stephen gilbert

Is IMHO as last year with 2015 release: First the trials was on AD server... And later this files are added in subscription center and this version was 100% the same as the trial before...

Jens

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://github.com/jedie/3dsmax_bugs | https://github.com/jedie/3dsmax_patches
Message 125 of 381
office
in reply to: phloog

$500?? Where is this? Here in Bulgaria it's $850, or 70% more expensive! And this with a discount from my reseller. I feel kind of ripped-off... For this price I expect a killer release, Autodesk! But let's see the official presentation first with all the new features (read "bought 3rd party plug-ins and scripts from scriptspot") before tearing my hair out of anger once again. Frankly speaking, I was about to buy more seats of Max this year but looking at the price, pace of development and lack of commitment to the client, I changed my mind.

3ds Max subscription customer since 2010
| Max 2022.1 | AMD Threadripper 3970X 32-core | 64GB RAM | Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB | NVMe SSD Samsung 960 Pro | Win10 Pro x64 | Nvidia Driver 466.47
Message 126 of 381
mail
in reply to: Vistral

Looks like they've finally ported Maya's attribute editor over!...

Patrick Macdonald
Lighting TD
http://patrick.reformstudios.com

Developer of Mission Control , the spreadsheet editor for 3ds Max
http://mcontrol.reformstudios.com
Message 127 of 381
PROH
in reply to: mail

April 1st Edition?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 128 of 381
c0cllc
in reply to: 12sunflowers

Well, there's a reason why this time there are no Sneak Peeks...Seems there's nothing worth to be shown.

I still hope Iray+ will make a real difference and is going to be that killer feature.

Message 129 of 381
mitchelsfold
in reply to: c0cllc

I would happily forgo any new features for a whole year just for AD to fix all exiting issues and make MAX stable, although I think that may take more than one year...

3D Studio user from v.4 DOS through to current MAX version.
HP Z600 Workstation, 24GB RAM, Win 7, nVidia Quadro 4000 Gfx
Message 130 of 381
cresshead
in reply to: mitchelsfold

'stable releases'

That's what service packs are for...new releases are for new features/tools and advancing the product to keep pace with competing products such as Blender, Houdini, Modo, cinema4d and lightwave.

I'm not paying £600 to fix last previously released tools...I require 3DS Max to stay competative otherwise I'd be better off with an app that's actually being developed with my money such as modo, cinema4d and houdini.

simple as that right?

stee+cats

3dsmax subscription
system spec:- 6 core i7 3.4ghz, 16gb ram nvidia gtx780 (3gig) ssd c drive windows 8.1 Q how many polys? all of them!
Message 131 of 381
eodeo

I'm puzzled with "stability first" requests. What are you doing in Max that is causing you problems? Does Max crash for you or does it work unexpectedly?

I haven't had a single non user error crash since Max 2014 came out. I did have a few problems with CAT, but I was using a legacy rig- the one from pre 2014 era. Still no crashes, just unexpected behavior that I was able to fix.

Message 132 of 381
drendir
in reply to: eodeo

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm puzzled with "stability first" requests. What are you doing in Max that is causing you problems? Does Max crash for you or does it work unexpectedly?

I haven't had a single non user error crash since Max 2014 came out. I did have a few problems with CAT, but I was using a legacy rig- the one from pre 2014 era. Still no crashes, just unexpected behavior that I was able to fix.

Sorry but what?... Stability as in the navigational tool being broken, stability as in "constant-same-level-performance", stability as in STABILITY? Since 2015 came out this forums' been packed with questions and bugs. Did you use 2014+ ?

As I previously stated and became more clear with posts after, there's the pple who want new features cause that's what they wanna pay for, and there's pple who want stability first and don't "mind" paying for that.

Good on you to not have these problems but then ur simply not working in our sector cause we can most definately define some mistakes and stability issues.

I don't think we'd be here stuffing this thread so much with everyone tuning in if there weren't problems that you say you dont have.

We do have them and we want some stability. Good old stabilty.

Only reason why I'm pro-stability and don't care about features for now is that my personal work-stress is stability related and my deadlines become more difficult to maintain because this software will become unstable after a while, whatever-related it may be.

3dstudio max 2016/2017
Windows 7 & 10
Message 133 of 381
eodeo
in reply to: drendir

Stability as in the navigational tool being broken

What do you mean? What navigational tool?

stability as in "constant-same-level-performance"

Performance in what area? Max performance skyrocketed compared to the Max 2012, the first truly modern Max.

ur simply not working in our sector

That much is clear. This is why I asked what are you doing in Max that is causing you problems?

I don't think we'd be here stuffing this thread so much with everyone tuning in if there weren't problems that you say you dont have.

Given Max' size and size of its user base I am not at all surprised at the interest generated. Still most people that have their Max working as intended don't bother to show up just to say that. Software forums by design, are focal points of all that is wrong with the said software.

my personal work-stress is stability related and my deadlines become more difficult to maintain because this software will become unstable

I was able to complete a complex 3.5min music video on a tight deadline precisely because Max 2015 was working perfectly at all times. I remember thinking multiple times during production how lucky I felt for using Max and not something else. Not only was Max 2015 rock solid, it's performance was/is unparalleled. Its closest competitor, Max 2014, was good, but not as good.

For the first time in Max' history, Max 2015 is not only able to fully utilize the GPU I had, but it did it significantly better then Max 2014- the first Max notable for being capable of fully utilizing a modern GPU. For example, in one 46m poly scene I had, Max 2015 had ~40fps while Max 2014 had ~20, on the same system. It's not ground braking, but still nice- more so considering that I had that performance in viewports with AO, soft shadows, DOF, realtime exposure and full HDRI lightning. No competitor could come close to that speed, let alone eye candy that seriously cuts down on time for setting up rendering.

Message 134 of 381
cresshead

it's true 2015 isn't a very stable release..i usually do all my main work in max 2008 for modelling etc as it's rock solid and only jump upto 2015 for a specific feature if it's required..if 2016 was super stable but had no real,headline features (like rumor has it right now) then maybe 2016 might be my bail out app..get that..and move on to another companies product longterm bat have a stable version to use whilst i transition from autodesk to a company that wants to develop their apps properly. ... IF the rumors are true of course!...if we have a stunning release..ignore my rant as i've been in that mode for so many lame releases in recent years...!
stee+cats

3dsmax subscription
Message 135 of 381
drendir

What do you mean? What navigational tool? /// The new "intuïtive navigational system" since max 2015

Performance in what area? Max performance skyrocketed compared to the Max 2012, the first truly modern Max. /// Urban-scale-development and large scale Architecture design

That much is clear. This is why I asked what are you doing in Max that is causing you problems? /// It's not about "what I do" it's about how Max handles my actions that are supposed to be legit actions. I'm not doing any "out of the box crazy things" I'm using almost exclusively the base-tools used for architecture modeling.

Still most people that have their Max working as intended don't bother to show up just to say that. /// Just like there're people not bothering to have their voice heard who are having problems. Don't think we have statistics on this 🙂

I was able to complete a complex 3.5min music video on a tight deadline precisely because Max 2015 was working perfectly at all times. I remember thinking multiple times during production how lucky I felt for using Max and not something else. Not only was Max 2015 rock solid, it's performance was/is unparalleled. Its closest competitor, Max 2014, was good, but not as good. /// Again, that's really nice for you but I can't seem to complete any project without running into problems. It took me 10 workdays in total to solve IT problems on our previous animation instead of putting my time in the project itself. I'm talking about problems from retimers in max to the backburner system jacking up everywhere to problems with max crashing when opening the layer-panel (still unknown reason) to whatever.

We don't "invent" these stability-problems lol, we just encounter them in a clean yet complex scene and at that point it's almost impossible to find the right cause cause there's so much going on in the scene that we cannot start to figure out what the problem is anymore.

Mayby the layer-panel crashes cause an object has to much keys on the timeline and it can't handle them in time and crashes max. I really don't know, I'm not an IT-person, I'm a 3D Visual Designer and I prefer to keep it that way and focus my energy on the creative part.

The sadness is that more Visual Designers need to become semi-IT-people and that's just not the goal. (I hope).

3dstudio max 2016/2017
Windows 7 & 10
Message 136 of 381
c0cllc

I have to admit that stability is very good in the current release and so it was in 2014.

The only thing that constantly crashed for me is DBR - when it is used many times per session, suddenly the rendering window feeezes, when everything seems ready at 100%. So you can save your frame, but you need to kill 3dsmax with the task manager if you want to go on with your work.

Message 137 of 381
alexnode

Still 2014 here and haven't got any problems for archviz and flythroughs .
One crash every two three weeks.usually because I tessellated something to
a few hundred million polygons and my computer had a stroke.
I used 2015 with mature service packs for only two projects and had no
problems so far. I won't download 2016 until I am sure it is stable...
Though.
Message 138 of 381
eodeo

Urban-scale-development and large scale Architecture design

I'm not in that world, but I'm sorry to hear that Max is behaving poorly there. As I understand it, Arch Viz is one of Max' strengths, so I hope that AD addresses this problem fast.

The sadness is that more Visual Designers need to become semi-IT-people and that's just not the goal. (I hope).

Since I also teach Max, one of the things I really like about the new direction Max has been taking is the ease of use. In every release Max is becoming more and more user friendly and requires you to know less and less to get good quality results. I think this is fantastic and hope that Max stays on this path- simplicity for everyone with high control for those who need it.

Message 139 of 381
rawalanche

I think you guys just mixed up the terms. Stability is not about bug fixing but crash fixing. I do not prefer stability improvements over new features in 3ds Max since 3ds Max is already probably the most stable software i work with... compared to other DCC softwares.

Bugs, that's a different story. 3ds Max is full of bugs, and i waste many hours a week having to work around them or if they are slowdown bugs, having to wait for Max to keep up with me. I would just prefer the right balance between bug fixing, feature improvements and new features.

What makes me angry most though, is that they deliberately postpone fixing of bugs that are critical but not crashing the software to the new version. I hardly remember last time i was upgrading Max because there was some new killer feature that i just had to have. But i remember always upgrading because they fixed something that made me pull my hair out all the time. Unfortunatelly, they often introduced bunch of new hair-pullers, and they always postponed their fixing to the new version, instead of adressing it in a SP. 

Core i7 870 @3,2Ghz
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX460
3ds Max 2012 SP2
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
Message 140 of 381
jens.diemer
in reply to: rawalanche

rawalanche schrieb:

3ds Max is already probably the most stable software i work with...

What?!? You are joking?!? 1st april is over 😉

In the list of crashing programms, max is at the top.

Software like photoshop is very good. It never crash...

Jens

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://github.com/jedie/3dsmax_bugs | https://github.com/jedie/3dsmax_patches

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report