Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

still no news about 3ds max 2016?

380 REPLIES 380
Message 1 of 381
12sunflowers
12474 Views, 380 Replies

still no news about 3ds max 2016?

Any announcement or news about 3ds max 2016?

380 REPLIES 380
Message 81 of 381
c0cllc
in reply to: aon.914858227

That's going a bit offtopic i believe and the fact that nitrous is a driver and not a display mode - sorry for not beeing pedantic, that wasn't relevant for me in that moment of writing.

Nitrous optimized the viewport speed and it let me forget about Quadro cards, as it made Direct3D faster than OpenGL. That is the really big step forward and i'm thankful! But Nitrous didn't really improve the viewport quality of geometry display. Yes, the realistic viewport shows lights, shadows etc. But as you said - only for preview. The real benefit would be if it was a display mode you could work with 24/7. That's where Sketchup uses a more clever concept. For example - at some point of work i don't need to see every single edge of a surface when i select an object, i don't need always to see all those edges when using "show edges", i just need to see the "higher level" geometry edging to reduce the mess in heavy scenes. Yes i could just use shaded viewport without edges - but there's a lot of situations (for exaple when you have a lot of similarly coloured faces in a heavy scene) when you need to see edges for orientation but you don't need to see all of them. This is where SketchUp gives you more meaningful choices - which edges and/or faces to be shown. This really helps in many situations. It's not normal that there is no improvement and no evolution in the way geometry and edges is displayed in 20 years.. And Sketchup proves it can be done - even though it is limited in many other aspects, of course. There are so many concepts you could think of - for example distance based geometry detail level...Why none of these ideas is ever implemented into existing software? They only come true when new software is born.

Message 82 of 381
phloog
in reply to: 12sunflowers

They brought in all that extra "horsepower" for that?

So really no new features, still lagging lots of other products in key areas, and still a sea of promises followed by an ocean of meh.

Can I NOT download this joke and just get a refund of my subscription payment?
Message 83 of 381
phloog

Wondering... Was Hudson brought in to handle the amazing coding feat of including packs we already had?

I see that 2015 plug-ins still working in 2016 is listed as a feature, when the main reason for this is likely that so little changed.
Message 84 of 381
Stefan43
in reply to: phloog

As someone said at CGTalk: Don't complain, at least we got new icons 😉

But yes, I agree, it's a very lame release.

I just bought a indie version of Houdini, that software seems to have everything you need for specialFX (I love that). I was hoping for Bifrost in max, but...

Message 85 of 381
Steve_Curley

Not too likely. It's due to changing compiler releases every couple of years, so 2015 and 2016 are plugin compatible, but I can almost guarantee 2016 and 2017 won't be.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 86 of 381
cresshead
in reply to: Steve_Curley

maybe the only 'fluids' we'll get will be users crying?

I'm just waiting for the official release information from autodesk and the associated NEW FEATURE videos for BOTH max 2016 and maya 2016...let Autodesk show us first hand just how hard they are working for pushing the development of each app forward.

I'm guessin that autodesk didn't feel much requiremnt to hi-light the U.I in green for 3ds max unlike Maya.

Our fat lady isn't singing just yet..but it's not looking great from the rumors so far.

DickDastardlyandMuttley1.jpg

stee+cats
http://www.cresshead.com

3dsmax subscription
other s/ware:- Modo Blender Combustion Lightwave Zbrush
system spec:- 6 core i7 3.4ghz, 16gb ram nvidia gtx780 (3gig) ssd c drive windows 8.1 Q how many polys? all of them!
Message 87 of 381
phloog

Houdini Indie is FABULOUS! Radically different workflow but that's why we have Digital Tutors.

I was being more than a little facetious with the recompile comment. But any changes from 2016 to 2017 will be irrelevant to me. If this really is the feature list I would suggest they fire the entire team and get a more motivated crew, or just EOL Max. Another set of big names whose reputations will be weakened by a lame Max release from a company that clearly feels like they have no competition.
Message 88 of 381
aon.914858227
in reply to: c0cllc

I think Nitrous is quite an achievement. Implementing a viewport-driver that is so fundamentally different from those legacy display options and get it working in 3dsmax (a bit) outdated framework really deserves some respect. So kudos to everyone who worked on it (Neil Hazzard?) at the dev-team.

Asking for more and better display options is of course a legit wish that i support.

Message 89 of 381
rawalanche

First of all, Houdini Indie is only for low profit or non commercial use. If you want Houdini that allows you to do same kind of commercial work with serious income as 3ds Max does, and you want full featured version, not crippled one without particles and dynamics (which is what Houdini excels at) then you will pay 7000 USD for it. Almost twice as much as for 3ds Max.

If you have Indie, then you can not make more than 100k USD a year, you can not save or load files from/to full commercial houdini version, and you can not render larger than fullHD.

Second of all, if anyone says they can easily switch to Houdini, Modo, Cinema or whatever, then they probably did not need 3ds Max in the first place. 3ds Max has particular strenghts in workflow efficiency that no other software on the market can achieve. It's irreplaceable software. 

That being said, if the new feature/improvement list is really what these rumors have been saying, then this is indeed going to be the worst release in the history of 3ds Max.

When i saw this over a year ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evKVrQYIV9k i completely lost any faith in future of 3ds Max. I don't think i've ever seen so much BS in one video, and i would be lot more happy, if 3ds Max was actually developed by people who know something about it and know something about needs of 3D artists.

Core i7 870 @3,2Ghz
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX460
3ds Max 2012 SP2
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
Message 90 of 381
phloog

The joy of Houdini Indie is that as soon as you get a job that might conceivably put you over the limit, the $7k cost is no barrier. Granted you can't transfer assets, but I have heard they WILL possibly help you with that.
Message 91 of 381
cresshead

re Houdini Indie

let's just add some clarity and drop the misinformation/misunderstanding

Commercial use of Houdini Indie is limited to studios or artists that make less than $100K USD per year and cannot be used in the same pipeline as commercial versions of Houdini. Houdini Indie uses its own file format for saving scenes and assets and is restricted to 1920x1080 when rendering out animations using Mantra. Houdini Indie also includes FBX input and output and ALEMBIC input and output.

Houdini Indie's restrictions are quite reasonable in my opinion.

no plugins btw way..so you can't add octane, vray, arnold...

It still looks like a steep mountain to climb to lelarn it though, Indie or not.

stee+cats

3dsmax subscription
system spec:- 6 core i7 3.4ghz, 16gb ram nvidia gtx780 (3gig) ssd c drive windows 8.1 Q how many polys? all of them!
Message 92 of 381
iadproductions
in reply to: cresshead

I find it completely frustrating that the Activation Key Generator for the 2016 Autodesk Productions has already been cracked and available for over 24 hours and there are videos on youtube that demonstate the process and as a Subscription holder, I haven't heard anything from Autodesk.

Mastering Autodesk 3ds Max 2013
http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Autodesk-3ds-Max-2013/dp/1118129717/ref=zg_bs_4135_2
Message 93 of 381
phloog

All that is correct but:

1) I have heard-and granted it's only rumor, that if you got a huge job, Sidefx can and would (for a fee I am sure) help you pipe assets to a newly purchased full license

2) the learning curve is VERY STEEP...IF AND ONLY If you are talking about things that 3dsmax was built to facilitate. In other areas I have had ZERO trouble with Houdini, and of course in a LOT of VFX areas it's silly to talk learning curve because Max simply can't do it.
Message 94 of 381
phloog

This is, to my knowledge, a tradition going back more than 20 years.... Now imagine those who RENT the software, who completely lose it if they don't keep paying, but might have friends with a perpetual unlicensed version
Message 95 of 381
Steve_Curley

Let's leave that particular subject well alone shall we? I'd hate to have to start deleting posts...

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 96 of 381
phloog

Steve - just to clarify... Is there an issue with griping that anti-piracy methods only seem to impede legal purchasers, or is the issue with saying too much about the methods so we end up helping the cheats?
Message 97 of 381
cresshead

I'd say the latter..let's not make more illegal users out there.
stee+cats

3dsmax subscription
Message 98 of 381
Stefan43

I can't really understand why people even want/must use a illegal copy of 3ds max when you can use it for free as a student version, but anyway...

Message 99 of 381
Steve_Curley

@phloog wrote:
Steve - just to clarify... Is there an issue with griping that anti-piracy methods only seem to impede legal purchasers, or is the issue with saying too much about the methods so we end up helping the cheats?

The latter, primarily. The rules here strictly forbid any discussion which advocates piracy, so anything which could be construed as aiding or abetting that practice is also forbidden. Better to simply avoid the whole subject don't you think?

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 100 of 381
Vistral

well.. so whats new and useful?

the whole list shows stuff that ist totally uninteresting.. and if you are useing vray its even more uninteresting.. actually i dondt need any new feature .. i just need a software that works as intended! 😉

i should try the trial version and see for myself..

best regards daniel .. and if i have to tweak that nitreos driver with a script again, because it still make size dependent selection of my objects, then i am ..not happy.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report