Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rendering Color Issues

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
2509 Views, 3 Replies

Rendering Color Issues

I am using 3Ds Max 2012

I have modeled and animated this object, using an Ink and Paint material on it, with the intent of inserting it into a 2 dimensional animation program. The object in the scene is a certain color, the material is a certain color

Max 1.png

In the render window and icon it is that same color

Max 2.png

But when opened in my image veiwer or in the animation program I intnd to use it in

Max 3.png

The colors are completley wrong. I am exporting them as PNGs for the transparency, to incorporate them into the scene better. While Jpg works the background of the image gets in the way, and the animation program's Magic wand feature is messy and innacurate, leaving a mess behind.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
office
in reply to: Anonymous

Looks like a gamma setup issue to me.

Can you post a screenshot of your Max preferences, tab Gamma and LUT? I would guess that you're working in Gamma 1.0 space but Output Gamma: is set to 2.2. Am I right? If that's the case, set Output Gamma: to 1.0 as well.

To keep things consisted, you always want the values in the 3 input fields to be the same and both checkboxes to the right checked. Otherwise, viewports and material editor will show you one color but output will show a different one.

Let me know if this helped. Smiley Happy

3ds Max subscription customer since 2010
| Max 2022.1 | AMD Threadripper 3970X 32-core | 64GB RAM | Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB | NVMe SSD Samsung 960 Pro | Win10 Pro x64 | Nvidia Driver 466.47
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: office

When I looked all values they were set to 2.2

Max 4.png

I tried changing all values to one and got a render closer to what I wanted, if not a little darker than I intended. If no other 'Perfect solution' presents itself I can work with this.

Message 4 of 4
office
in reply to: Anonymous

From your screenshot it looks like you forgot to tick the two checkboxes to the right. Do this and try again. Otherwise you are going to be viewing your materials and colors with different contrast in Max from what is going to be actually saved in your file.

3ds Max subscription customer since 2010
| Max 2022.1 | AMD Threadripper 3970X 32-core | 64GB RAM | Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB | NVMe SSD Samsung 960 Pro | Win10 Pro x64 | Nvidia Driver 466.47

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report