Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preview vertex handles

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
papaf1
686 Views, 6 Replies

Preview vertex handles

I'm doing an animation that I need to use the preview file as the finished version till the final rendering is completed. Unfortunately I only have one machine rendering the final version so it’s going to take about 5 days to render all of the sections. In the animation I'm using a spline with Linked XForm controlling it's vertices and the Vertices are set to Bezier Corners so I can curve the lines in the animation. My problem is the Spline Vertices and the Vertex Handles are showing up in the preview, is there a way to turn this off for the preview?

D.R.
3ds Max 2014/2017
Autodesk Inventor & AutoCAD
HP xw8600 Workstation
Windows 7 64Bit
Dual Intel Xeon 2.83 E5440 GHz
8.00 GB of Ram
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jonathan.matthews
in reply to: papaf1

Hello D.R.-

Please check out this article and let me know if it helps:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/3DSMax...

<Handle Size Lets you specify the display size for handles attached to patch vertices and spline vertices. Range=2 to 7. Default=3>

Thank you.

Jonathan Matthews

Autodesk Technical Support.

Message 3 of 7
papaf1
in reply to: jonathan.matthews

Thank you for the reply. I did try this but it didn't work. You can only turn the size numbers down to 2, and unchecking the box, Show Vertices as Dots, doesn't do anything.

D.R.
3ds Max 2014/2017
HP xw8600 Workstation
Windows 7 64Bit
8.00 GB of Ram
Message 4 of 7
papaf1

This is an example of what I'm talking about. If you can see the Vertice Handles in the viewport, it shows up in the preview file also. I'm want to see if you can ether turn off the vertices and the Vertex Handles, or turn down the size to a point that they aren't visible in the viewport.

D.R.
3ds Max 2014/2017
HP xw8600 Workstation
Windows 7 64Bit
8.00 GB of Ram
Message 5 of 7
spacefrog_

This is common and quite plausible:

If a selection modifier is on the top of the stack it displays the current subobject selection, in the case of spline knots including their handles. The same is true eg for the mesh select modifiers: they display selected vertices, edges or faces

To fix this in your scene, just place another spline select modifier on top of the stack and LEAVE subobject selection ( or deselect the one selected spline knot ). Now no subobject is selected, thus no spline knot handles are displayed any longer

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 6 of 7

Thank you Spacefrog for your suggestion.  D.R. I just attempted this and it works.  It is a good workaround.  

Please let us know if it works for you.

Best Regards,

Jonathan Matthews

Autodesk Technical Support.

Message 7 of 7
papaf1
in reply to: jonathan.matthews

Perfect Spacefrog. Just what I was looking for. I never considered that, just by sticking another Edit Spline Modifier in the stack fixed the problem. Cool, Thanks Spacefrog.

D.R.
3ds Max 2014/2017
HP xw8600 Workstation
Windows 7 64Bit
8.00 GB of Ram

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report