Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxstart not working

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
stewart.anderson
394 Views, 6 Replies

Maxstart not working

My office has upgraded to 3DMax Design 2015 but seem to falling at the first hurdle when trying to set it up.

I'm setting up all my render settings exacly how I want them by default then saving out as maxstart.max in my project folder under 'scenes' and all the file paths are looking in the correct place but whenever I open a new drawing it never remembers the settings. I'm sure with my older version of max at home it works fine, but with 2015 I seem to having issues.

Any suggestions?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Works fine here - Max, not Design. Doesn't work on File > New (never has) but should work if you use File > Reset instead. Also, there is a separate path for Maxstart - it should be Scenes by default, but it doesn't have to be and if different will be used in preference to Scenes. If not found in the Maxstart path it won't be found at all, even if it's in the Scenes folder.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 7

I was going to post and say I did have a play about and did notice that if I use reset it worked. I would need to double check when I get home but I am 99% sure that my maxstart works as I described. I dont ever use reset, its just right when Max very first opens up, though I appreciate you said thats never worked like that so would need to check.

Thanks for your help.

Message 4 of 7

Pretty sure it never has. Has always worked on a Reset or on a claen load of Max. IIRC New simply clears out the scene geometry/lights/etc but keeps the current settings - not the same as loading an empty scene file which is what Reset does with Maxstart.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 5 of 7

Maybe thats the answer then, you see at home from recollection it simply opens up the fresh maxstart buth with design the difference is you get the dialogue box up asking if you want to open recent files or create new, the latter being what I am selecting which from your explanation means its not referring to maxstart.

So I suppose the question is how I get it to simply open the maxstart at the start and not have to select 'create new scene'

Message 6 of 7

I feel daft now, I just had another look and noticed you can imply close the dialogue box which then takes me straight to my maxstart.

Thanks very much for your help, its appreciated!
Message 7 of 7

No problem - glad you're all sorted 🙂

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report