Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max 2016 Using \ Character for Naming

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
StuAustin
557 Views, 9 Replies

Max 2016 Using \ Character for Naming

Windows 7 Ultra

Max 2016

After opening a model (I created it in Max 2012) and with nothing selected, I can hover the mouse over the "yellow" outline of the part and I get what is in the jpeg (yellow box looking thing).

After a few minutes, I found out what is causing the problem.

I have this part named ships\stu\cylon_raider

The backward slash (\) is causing the problem. If I delete the backward slash, problem goes away. Problem is I have got to have the \ in when I name the main part of the model and other parts linked to be put into my game. With the problem, I can still put the model into the game.

stucylon_raider_problem.jpg 

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
PROH
in reply to: StuAustin

Hi. I don't quite understand what you're asking about, since you're giving the answer yourself, but I do think you'll have another problem when exporting the file. Most formats (if any) won't allow names with backslash, so just wondering: Have you checked if you are able to export your objects without renaming (manually or automatic)? And if so, what file format are you exporting to?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 3 of 10
StuAustin
in reply to: PROH

Hello. For exporting, I'm using a MaxScript called DBOX2 used for X3 Terran Conflict. What it does is allows you to export/import a Body file and also a Scene file.

The file itself when exporting has no \ (backslash) in the name of the file. Like for the model itself when exporting will be named:

cylon_raider.bod (the main model itself "Body")

cylon_raider_scene.bod (scenery file with weapons, special effects)

As you can see in the following jpeg, where the red arrows are, the name of the object part is ships\stu\cylon_raider

The rest of the objects will be other parts of the model. Once the model is made, then each individual object will be "Collapsed", "Reset XForm" then "Linked" to the Parent (ships\stu\cylon_raider). After all this is done, then it will be exported as a Body file (*.bod, example: cylon_raider.bod).

Then we will import the Body file (cylon_raider.bod), rename the model (Parent) to BShips\stu\cylon_raider and import the weapons and engines effects along with the cameras *.bod files and place them. For the weapons, the objects (weapons or engines) must have the \ (backslash) in the naming of them (example: ships\props\weapondummy_1main).  After this is done, it is exported as a scenery file (xxx_scenery.bod, example: cylon_raider_scene.bod).

The \ (backslash) is very important in the naming of the objects. What it stands for is "directory" and it looks at the directory structure of the game and its basically the "commands" of what the object will perform.

If there is a option to turn OFF the yellow line around the object when you move the mouse cursor over each object, that would probably solve the problem for when using naming conventions (object names) like these.

First jpeg is a scenery file and second one is for exporting as a Body file.

This is for the game X3 Terran Conflict by Egosoft.

stu

cylon_raider_problem_3.jpgcylon_raider_problem_2.jpg

Message 4 of 10
Steve_Curley

The "outline" is a new feature in Max2016 - it simply highlights the border of an object when the mouse moves over it - it's a "selection preview" - nothing more. I doubt the backslashes have anything whatever to do with it as it's purely a viewport feature. Yes you can turn it off - Customize > Preferences > Viewports tab > Selection Preview Highlights (untick the option).

http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2016/ENU//index.html?guid=GUID-3D743E3A-B01D-4C3F-9E16-CD1D3BAF... (Scroll down until you see the big red NEW).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 5 of 10
StuAustin
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Hello Steve. I went ahead and deleted the DBOX2 MaxScript and put Max 2016 back to original with no plugins installed or updates (no updates available).

Went into Customize and changed the viewport setting as you suggested. Problem is still there.

Created 3 box's and named each box with following names:

objects\ships (left box)

objects\ships\props (center box)

objects\ships\props\stu (right box)

Using [Perspective][Shaded] viewport (problem also in other viewports).

Without selecting each of the box's, hover the mouse cursor over the left box and name shows as objects\ships.

Hover mouse cursor over the center box and a big bright yellow square will show up.

Hover the mouse cursor over right box and a much bigger bright yellow square will show up.

It appears if you have one \ (backslash) in the naming of the object, no problems are encountered but if you have more than one the problem occurs.

boxs_naming.zip file attached

stu

Message 6 of 10
Steve_Curley

How strange. Really not sure why that's happening, but as you say it's dependant on the number of "\" in the name. Changing the Viewport Driver to Legacy Direct3D cures it, but you're missing out on all the Nitrous features which need the later versions.
Unless someone who knows better happens along I'd call that a bug.
You could also get around it by not using the backslashes until you're ready to export. As a test I (manually) renamed your objects replacing the "\" with "^". This does prevent the problem. A quick bit of Maxscript would allow you to rename them back to the backslash versions of the names. The workflow would be:-
Save the scene > Rename the objects > Export the objects > ReLoad the scene (or write the reverse script to rename them back again).

(
for obj in selection do
	obj.name = substituteString obj.name "^" "\\" 	
)

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 7 of 10

Hello.  After reading the whole forum posting I would too agree that this seems like a bug.  Please log it here and then please report the bug number back here so that it can be tracked: http://download.autodesk.com/us/support/report_a_bug.html?SelProduct=3dsMax

Thank you for your time.

Best Regards,

Jonathan Matthews

Autodesk Technical Support.

Message 8 of 10

Hello all. Thanks for the support. Steve, I'll try that Maxscript as you suggested.

Jonathan, bug report submitted and sent them my Battlestar model. The reply got back for bug report is:

BSPR-19698 Max 2016 Using \ (backslash) Character for naming objects

stu

Message 9 of 10
StuAustin

Thanks Steve for the Script suggestion. Wrote 2 scripts and it works fine.

stu

Message 10 of 10
Steve_Curley

Glad it helped 🙂

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report