Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max 2016 File Link

63 REPLIES 63
SOLVED
Message 1 of 64
uplink3d
7534 Views, 63 Replies

Max 2016 File Link

I'm getting an error when reloading an autocad dwg linked in max 2016....

"File Link Question

The drawing file no longer contains objects that can be linked.

Either objects have been deleted from the drawing, or you layer filter settings are excluding additional objects. The reload will delete all previously linked objects."

I haven't deleted or changed any layers. There are definitely still objects on the layers. Same problem in two different projects.

If I select OK, all the linked objects disappear. Then I reload the dwg again and they are back, but having lost materials and UVW maps.

Any ideas?

63 REPLIES 63
Message 2 of 64

Hello-

I have tried to reproduce the File Link Question and loss of materials internally, but am not able to date.  Can you please provide us with a video showing your whole import/file link process to include all settings from start to problem and then reload so that I can review it with our development team?  Please use our Screencast software for this video.  

I am looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Best Regards,

Jonathan Matthews

Autodesk Technical Support.

Message 3 of 64

Thanks for your response. I've uploaded some screencasts showing the problem.

First from Autocad: http://autode.sk/1A0pgeV

I just changed an object from the grass layer to the already existing dirt layer.

Then in Max: http://autode.sk/1cx0Tu6

I'm saving autocad files as 2010 for compatibility with another workstation in the office that has 2012 installed. So just to check, I resaved the autocad file as 2013 format and tried the same reload: http://autode.sk/1cx27po

This doesn't happen all the time, but it is happening in two current projects that have never had interrelated files (the other one is a much more basic interior)

Message 4 of 64

Thank you.  I am actively researching this issue.  I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Message 5 of 64

Any luck with this? having the same problem.
I've noticed it's ok linking Autocad 2015 files into 3dsMax 2016 but not Autocad 2016. All linked objects vanish and then when re-linked appear with no materials, and then if I have to re-link again, the same happens. Its just not workable! I've gone back to the 2015 product for now, which is a bit frustrating considering all the bucks I've spent updating.
Message 6 of 64
uplink3d
in reply to: KenExton2014

Thanks for posting, it's nice to know I'm not just crazy, but sorry you are having the same problem! Were you able to eliminate the problem switching back to 2015 on projects that were not working in 2016 or did you start new files? I ask because I have Acad 2012 on one workstation and 2016 on another. I hired a new employee recently and had to get new licenses for Autocad/Max. The problem is occuring on both machines, so I assumed it was Max that was the culprit.

I've been at the tail end of 2 projects so there is not much autocad work at the moment. I just broke the links and edit in max. But today I start a new one and will be constructing the buildings in autocad so this problem is going to be a Major hangup. I'll go back to 2015 on the new machine and start fresh drawings for these and see how it goes.

Like you said, not workable... the File Link is critical to architectural illustration workflow. I'd say about 1/2 my clients are sending Revit models, but the rest are still in 2d autocad or datacad.

Message 7 of 64
KenExton2014
in reply to: uplink3d

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I think I may have been wrong about 2015 being Ok, was working fine yesterday, now I've had the same problem this morning using autocad 2015, so looks like it's a problem with Max 2016. I did add lots of blocks to my Acad drawing this morning, not sure if that's what has caused it to happen. Autodesk need to sort this one soon I hope, its a nighmare for anyone using Autocad modeling then File link manager to Max as part of their workflow. 

Message 8 of 64
uplink3d

I just got into the office and realized I never updated autocad to 2016, so I have 2015 + 2012 running with the problem. I never use autocad blocks for 3d (prefer to use max if I find that to be necessary) so my drawings don't have them.

Please keep posting if you discover anything. I'll do the same. Starting a new project today and I will begin with all new files in both autocad/max to see how it goes.

Message 9 of 64
uplink3d

new project. brand new autocad and max files. I haven't applied any materials yet in max. The eror occurred on the 3rd or 4th reload, after adding objects and no layer changes.

Message 10 of 64
dominic

I'm having the same problem, using AutoCAD Architecture 2016 and 3DSMax 2016.  This is a huge problem, reloading the CAD and reapplying materials every time I make a change is a huge waste of time.  

Message 11 of 64

Hello everyone-

I am actively working on this file linking issue between AutoCAD and 3ds Max 2016.  We currently have one our engineers working on the issue with me and hope to have more information very soon.  Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best Regards,

Jonathan Matthews

Message 12 of 64

Hello again everyone-

The issue with file linking between 3ds Max 2016 and Autocad 2016 has become a hot issue and is in the hands of development.  I will be keeping a close eye on this issue and reporting back when I have more information to share. 

Thank you for your patience.

Best Regards,

Jonathan Matthews

Message 13 of 64

Hi, do you have any update or an ETA on the hotfix for this issue? Having to reapply materials every time I make a change in AutoCAD is a massive problem when you're working to a deadline!

Message 14 of 64
Lino2

I have a very big problem with 3DS Max 2016 file link manager.

In fact, I use to proceed linking an AutoCAD DWG files with "File link manager", I apply textures, map, lights etc. (see picture "file before reload.jpg"). As usual, I often have to make changes to the original DWG file and reload it to apply changes in 3DS Max. This is a very common procedure for me.

With the brand new 3DS Max 2016 when I try to reload the DWG file after even very small changes, 3DS Max looses along the way all the linked geometries and the scene appears completely empty. The only things still exhisting are the ones created in scene just like the sun light, the proxy and the only object created in 3DS max (see photo "file after reload.jpg").
Ironically I don not receive a red flag but the white succesful reload confirmation of attachment appears just like correctly reloaded... !!!

Hoping to receive any comment or solution for this issue, I remain.

Thanks in Advance.

Lino.

HP Z440: ram 16GB ECC registered - Nvidia Quadro K4200 - cpu E5-1620 - ssd da 2560 Gb + hhd 1Tb for data only

Assembled ram 16GB ECC registered - Nvidia Quadro 4000 - cpu 2* E5630 - sas 2* 156 Gb + 2* hhd 1Tb for data only

Message 15 of 64
KenExton2014
in reply to: Lino2

Thanks for posting this. I'm having exactly the same problem. I do most of my modelling in AutoCad so the File Link manager in 3dsmax is an important part of my work flow. Its always worked fine in all previous releases. Its taking Autodesk a long time to sort out this problem. I've had to go back to using my 2015 products for now. Outrageous really when you think how much of my hard earned bucks they take every year.
Message 16 of 64
Lino2

Thanks for Your post.

I agree with You...

File link manager with autocad is one of the most important reasons why I chose Autodesk for modelling and rendering

My major doubt is the following: how is it possible to create a bug just like this one (on the base of something working almost fine before) without realizing that there is a huge problem with a topic feature of the application? It looks like a negligent behaviour...

I only hope that they will sort out a solution a.s.a.p. without wasting time.

Message 17 of 64

Hi,

Is there an ETA for this fix? Are there any short term fixes for this while the bug is being rectified?

In the error message it states "or your layer filter settings are excluding additional objects". I can't find any information on Max 2016 layer filters online. Can anyone help with casting some light on layer filers and excluding addition objects? 

As with others this is critical to our workflow and we desperately need to find a workaround.

Many thanks,

Richard

Message 18 of 64
Lino2
in reply to: RichardWoolsgrove

Dear Richard,

unfortunately no eta is determined for a fix date yet. This this the current situation. I can state it becuause this i a part of the answer I've got after opening a case concernig the matter.

Should You receive any news about, please do not hesitate to revert to discussion. I will do the same.

Best regards.

Lino.

Message 19 of 64
yeeha68

Wow, this is a huge issue.  We are losing hours and hours of work because the filelink manager is failing per the topic started here.  Its been over a month and no solution?  Please address this issue.  We need to get back to solid work.

Message 20 of 64
RichardWoolsgrove
in reply to: yeeha68

Hi Lino,

I have made a support request on this. I'll feeback any relavent details.

I'm not that hopeful on a fix anytime soon but you never know. The more times the issues is raised with Autodesk the quicker it will raise in priority.

Thanks,

Richard

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report