Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boolean and editable poly problem

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
5314 Views, 4 Replies

Boolean and editable poly problem

hi,

I've been trying to use the boolean tool applied to an editable polygon, which doesn't seem to be working the same way as standard primitive. It doesn't cap the gaps where it cut through, i've attached a image of the aftermaths.

maybe the shape i made was too complex.

please help!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
matthew.d
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

Could you attach an image of the standard primitive form (how you want it to look). I suspect it may be a matter of the areas you are selecting and also the Boolean Operation being used. There are several different Boolean Operations including:

A minus B

B minus A

Union

Intersection

Matt DiMichele
Autodesk Product Blogs | @ADSKCommunity Twitter

Likes are greatly appreciated. Everyone enjoys a thumbs up!

Please Accept As Solution if this resolves your issue, to help others benefit and locate it.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: matthew.d

Hi matt,

I used the subtract a from b for both. when I used the sphere it capped the floor plates, however when it came to the more complex shape I cut the hole but doesn't cap the holes.

Message 4 of 5
matthew.d
in reply to: Anonymous

As Boolean is a different opertation then standard primitaative, it requires the operands surface to be intact. This means you should perform the action on a continuous closed surface. The action tries to correct this if you have not created a closed surface. 

Are you completing the object so that the starting point and the ending point are the same when creating the Boolean? 

Assuming you want to cap the end of floors, to do this you could use the Cap Holes Modifier to build faces in the holes of the mesh.

Also you should take a look into the ProBoolean tool.

Matt DiMichele
Autodesk Product Blogs | @ADSKCommunity Twitter

Likes are greatly appreciated. Everyone enjoys a thumbs up!

Please Accept As Solution if this resolves your issue, to help others benefit and locate it.
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: matthew.d

Hi Matthew,

I'm definitely going to have a look into it. I managed to find a way around it by Boolean the floor plates without thickness then used the shell modifier. It doesn't have the same dramatic cuts but it worked!

With the object that I used the boolean I used a sphere and began deforming it to look more like an explosion, so I  assume it was had the same starting point.

If I did want to cap the floor plates would I have to turn them into an editable mesh rather than poly?

I'll definitely look into the Proboolean tool!

Thanks for the help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report