Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing DESKTOP nodes in 2008?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jdisrael
489 Views, 5 Replies

Missing DESKTOP nodes in 2008?

I was writing a recursive node copy function using the 2008 wiretap SDK, and noticed on our new LINUX Flame 2008 boxes that where DESKTOP nodes would normally exist, there are actually REEL nodes, with mutliple REEL nodes nested underneath. This seems to be a result of Flame 2008 saving it this way (with a REEL node instead of a DESKOP node)
My question is, is this a bug in Flame 2008 or a problem with the Wiretap SDK? I receive an exception when trying to create a REEL under another REEL, which I admit should be wrong. But SOMEHOW the Flame GUI is performing this operation.

Any idea?
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: jdisrael

Hi,

It has unfortunately always been the case that the Desktop is not exposed as a library. There are historical/architectural reasons for this. Users are required ot save clips to libraries in order for them to be seen through Wiretap.

WRT reels being children of reels, Wiretap intentionally prevents this. Not all functionality deployed in IFFFS is actually visible through Wiretap ... but we do take requests. 🙂

I did happen to check the documentation and notice that this restriction is not documented. I'll log a bug to fix it.

Cheers,

Dan
Message 3 of 6
jdisrael

Thanks for the reply, Dan.
I just want to make sure I understand what you have written. Are you referring to the active Desktop that is being used, not being exposed to WT?
I am referring to saved desktops that aren't in use. I could have sworn that on our old SGI systems just before we upgraded, I would use the print_tree tool and see structures like: PROJECT -> LIBRARY ->DESKTOP -> REEL -> CLIP. But now with the new LINUX Flame 2008 boxes, I only see PROJECT -> LIBRARY -> REEL -> REEL -> CLIP (if the use had saved out his desktop to his library)
I'm only now seeing REEL nodes in place of DESKTOP nodes, with more REEL nodes nested underneath, which I thought wasn't possible.
Message 4 of 6
nelsonr

Hi there,

You're right. Desktops are showing up as reels within reels. We'll try to have a fix for this as soon as possible. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Roger
Message 5 of 6
jdisrael

Thanks!
I just tested trying to quickly create a DESKTOP under a temp LIBRARY using the wiretap_create_node utility.

This fails:
>>> wiretap_create_node -n /stonefs/temp_project/temp_library -t DESKTOP -d 'temp_desktop'
Unable to create node: Invalid node type

This succeeds:
>>> wiretap_create_node -n /stonefs/temp_project/temp_library -t REEL -d 'temp_reel'
Created node '/stonefs/temp_project/temp_library/H_497820921_S_1205186189_U_836903'
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Hi Justin,

"Desktop" is not a valid/published Wiretap node type, so it's normal you'd see this error.

This type of node is only available in flame, and we're considering deprecating it. In the meantime, I suggest you use separate libraries to house your desktops if copying to a different system.

Cheers,

Dan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report