Wiretap

Valued Contributor
alatteri
Message 1 of 5 (270 Views)

linux screen recorder.

270 Views, 4 Replies
01-07-2007 09:35 PM
Anyway to record the flame UI on linux for screencasting?
Contributor
grattor
Message 2 of 5 (270 Views)

Re: linux screen recorder.

01-09-2007 05:55 AM in reply to: alatteri
If you have two systems, one of which has HD broadcast monitoring, yes. But I don't think this will help you.

Been looking for screencapture utilities on Linux for years. Never found anything.

You could try ViewletBuilder (it's ported to Linux). Google it, can't remember the company/URL. It records a sequence of images based on your interaction with an application -- you then edit the sequence in a PowerPoint like authoring environment and output a Flash-based presentation that includes an animated cursor that almost makes it look like your actual session.

Don't think it's expensive -- I knkow it's widely used, but it may not be what you need. It can't capture clip playback, for example.
clinhart
Message 3 of 5 (270 Views)

01-19-2007 03:18 AM in reply to: alatteri
You may want to try DemoRecorder which is a screen recorder for Linux.
There is a free 30 day eval license with all features, so trying it out does not cost anything.

I am not sure how well it handles the OpenGL or other special graphic features use by Flame though.

You can get DemoRecorder at http://www.DemoRecorder.com
Valued Contributor
alatteri
Message 4 of 5 (270 Views)

02-02-2007 08:54 AM in reply to: alatteri
I found that MediaRecorder on SGI does a fine job of video, audio is all messed up.
Contributor
grattor
Message 5 of 5 (270 Views)

02-26-2007 06:10 AM in reply to: alatteri
I tried this Linux-based screen capture utility and unfortunately it's blind to the Smoke/Flame GUI, so no go. Unless I missed something... but the release notes do explain that not all OpenGL applications can be grabbed.

Our training group here has a recording method that's pretty interesting though -- which is to set up a VNC server (one with X11 support, on Linux boxes the VNC server included in the RHEW distro does this) and then have a VNC client on the PC/Mac. You do the screen capture from the PC/Mac.

Works well, although if you want to capture clip-playback it'll probably suffer.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!