Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

linux screen recorder.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
alatteri
578 Views, 4 Replies

linux screen recorder.

Anyway to record the flame UI on linux for screencasting?
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
grattor
in reply to: alatteri

If you have two systems, one of which has HD broadcast monitoring, yes. But I don't think this will help you.

Been looking for screencapture utilities on Linux for years. Never found anything.

You could try ViewletBuilder (it's ported to Linux). Google it, can't remember the company/URL. It records a sequence of images based on your interaction with an application -- you then edit the sequence in a PowerPoint like authoring environment and output a Flash-based presentation that includes an animated cursor that almost makes it look like your actual session.

Don't think it's expensive -- I knkow it's widely used, but it may not be what you need. It can't capture clip playback, for example.
Message 3 of 5
clinhart

You may want to try DemoRecorder which is a screen recorder for Linux.
There is a free 30 day eval license with all features, so trying it out does not cost anything.

I am not sure how well it handles the OpenGL or other special graphic features use by Flame though.

You can get DemoRecorder at http://www.DemoRecorder.com
Message 4 of 5
alatteri

I found that MediaRecorder on SGI does a fine job of video, audio is all messed up.
Message 5 of 5
grattor

I tried this Linux-based screen capture utility and unfortunately it's blind to the Smoke/Flame GUI, so no go. Unless I missed something... but the release notes do explain that not all OpenGL applications can be grabbed.

Our training group here has a recording method that's pretty interesting though -- which is to set up a VNC server (one with X11 support, on Linux boxes the VNC server included in the RHEW distro does this) and then have a VNC client on the PC/Mac. You do the screen capture from the PC/Mac.

Works well, although if you want to capture clip-playback it'll probably suffer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report