Community
VRED Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s VRED Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular VRED topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vred inline textures not working with OCS materials!

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Bob.Bon2000
795 Views, 11 Replies

Vred inline textures not working with OCS materials!

Heya

When using OCS materials in scene and having unticked Inline Textures I can NOT save my scene as I dont have the actual OCS files. Is there a work around or I need to wait for hotfix ?

Regards.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
florian.dyck
in reply to: Bob.Bon2000

Hi Bob

What exactly are OCS textures? I googled the term but I could not find anything. When you don't have the actual OCS files, why would you want to include them in the VRED file? Can you convert the OCS to a standard jpg-format or else?

best regards

Florian

Message 3 of 12
Bob.Bon2000
in reply to: florian.dyck

The OCS come inbeded in the scene. So you can merge them to new scene and slightly edit. The poblem is that once inline is uncheck then vred require that all assets have location on HDD which wont work with OCS. There need to be an function in inline textures to either ignore missing textures or ignore OCS. Unless there is a work around.

Can any1 from AD take a look? A scene that weith 5gb with textures weight only 250mb with no textures. This is huge difference that affect HDD space as well as save time of each project. 

Message 4 of 12

Hi Bob,

if you have a scene with materials that contain images which are not located on your HDD, the usual way to go would be to first save the file as a package: File > Save Package. This creates a folder called "images" next to the saved vpb file. That folder that contains all images from the scene (some might be in the special VRED image format .vif). All images in the vpb refer to these images. So after saving the package you can use save without inline textures.

Until now, "Save Package" was not possible for scenes that contained any measured materials (such as the OCS material). This will be fixed with the next service pack (2015 SP4, 2015 SR1 SP3).

So the following workaround would be possible with the next service pack: first save as a package, then use the "normal" save with inline textures unchecked.

Best regards

Sinje

Message 5 of 12

Fantastic. Thank you very much for the update ! 

Message 6 of 12
Bob.Bon2000

Heya

Would it make sense that if we save a scene and there are missing assets we would get an print in Terminal what textures in what shaders are causing issues? Atm if I have 100 shaders in the scene and 1 missing texture... its a bit of a nightmare to trace it down.

Also an option maybe while we save to just ignore missing textures or imbed them in? This could help a lot too if I want to keep some textures in the scene and reference rest of them.

Regards

Message 7 of 12
Bob.Bon2000

Heya

Has this issue been addressed in 2016/2015 version of vred? I'ts really big problem when  out of 73 materials and 234 textures 1 is missing.

Regards

Dariusz

Message 8 of 12

Hi Dariusz,

we added your suggestions (display which texture paths couldn't be found on the HDD or allowing to save in a mixed inline/no-inline mode) as feature requests to our system.

Regards

Sinje

Message 9 of 12

Is there any ETA on this  feature? There are lots of problems when not using inline textures. Like patch to textures change within time, random textures appear to start missing and lots of saving risks. Its vred 2016 and texture managment is as bad as it was in 2015. Eta Eta eta?

Message 10 of 12
Bob.Bon2000

Is this going to be fixed? Like when I'm still alive?? 

Message 11 of 12
richardlevene

Yeah there are quite a few issues.

For instance using a skylight will require you to use inline textures. Even if you bake out the map and apply it to normal env and then delete the skylight it won't save withouth asking for inline textures.

They really need to get it sorted. The whole texture file system is kind of a joke. They really need to re work the background architecture for references, materials/textures to have a system like any other 3d app.

Supoprt said best to avoid unchecking Use Inline Textures.

Hopefully they will get a working solution.

Richard

Message 12 of 12
Bob.Bon2000

Its been a LONG time but any news on:

Warning what textures are missing

Skip missing textures?

having paths not getting messed up after 3-5 saves of scene and opens? They do weird stuff! 

Any updates for 2017 please?

Sick and tired wasting 100gb of hdd space per 1 shot with current system :- ( 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report