Community
VRED Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s VRED Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular VRED topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[VRED] How to rotate a translation or scale pivot ?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
killian.launay
3650 Views, 9 Replies

[VRED] How to rotate a translation or scale pivot ?

Hi all, I want to rotate the translation and the scale pivots, but i don't find any option to do this. Somebody know how to do that ? I've flushed transformations in order to place manually the pivots at the right place to make clean animations, but my objects are rotated and i can't rotate translation pivot 😞 Anybody know how to fix that ? Thanks !
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

SHIFT + Q

Message 3 of 10

I know SHIFT+Q but that's only to move the pivots and to rotate the rotation pivot, but test, if you rotate the pivots with Shift+Q and then press Shift+W, the translation pivot is in the same position 😕
Message 4 of 10

Hi Killian,

to show the rotated translation manipulator you have to activate "Local Mode" in the Transform Menu (show the menu by a long mouse press on the Transform icon).

Please note that this affects only the Translation manipulator, not the scale manipulator. The scale manipulator/pivot is always aligned with the actual rotation of your object.

Regards

Sinje

Message 5 of 10

Thanks for your answer, can you animate with the local mode values ?
Message 6 of 10

If you want to animate the translation of an object and adjust the translation values by using the translation manipulator in local mode: then yes.
Message 7 of 10

hi Sinje i dont understand what do you mean,

@sinje_thiedemann wrote:

The scale manipulator/pivot is always aligned with the actual rotation of your object.

Regards

Sinje

if i rotate the rotation pivot, the scale pivot doesn't rotate also, i'm forgetting something?
thank you

Message 8 of 10

Hi @tommaso_bulgari,

with that I just meant that if you rotate the object (change rotation angles, not the pivot) the scale pivot is also rotated. Probably I was just stating the obvious 😉

Sinje

Message 9 of 10

Hello Sinje,

I am currently having the same issue - although the "Local mode" solved the direction of the translation, I am not finding a way to put exact numbers for the translation in my desired direction. In the Transform dialog box both X and Z directions are changing when I am translating my object by dragging in my modified arrow/coordinate sys. I am in need of translating in that direction with very high accuracy, in terms of millimeters or even half millimeters.

Maybe you know if this this possible?

Kind regards,

M

Message 10 of 10

Hi,

the "local mode" option only affects the Transform Manipulator, not the Transform Editor, so I am afraid there is currently no possibility to enter these values numerically.

But, you can move the object with the transform manipulator by a certain value, by activating the "Use Fixed Steps" option in the menu directly below the Local Mode option, and by setting the Step size in Edit > Preferences > Transform > Translation Step Size.

E.g. for a step size 1.0 the transform manipulator will move the object in steps of exactly 1 mm along the local axis (if you're using Unit mm, which is the default in VRED). The only drawback with this is, that for a very small value a single mouse move can move the object by multiple steps at once. I think it helps if you zoom very close to the manipulator, and move the mouse really slow.

Best regards

Sinje

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report