Community
VRED Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s VRED Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular VRED topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shadows in OpenGl

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
ankishu2000
1078 Views, 8 Replies

Shadows in OpenGl

Hello

This might be a simple question but I was unable to find much information on it.

I am trying to get ground shadows to appear in OpenGL (non ray-traced) mode.

If there any way to get this to show up?

It shows up in the VRED given files such as the Automotive Genisis but when I import my own file it does not show up?

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
dawn_mcardle
in reply to: ankishu2000

You need to calculate Ambient Occlusion (under Scene menu).  Hide objects with transparency first.  To check the tesselation: Visualization > Ambient Occlusion Rendering.  You may need to enable Subdivision on rough-looking surfaces. You can choose to output rendesr using Raytracing and the Precomputed + Illumination illumination mode.

Message 3 of 9
ankishu2000
in reply to: dawn_mcardle

Hi!

Thanks, I've got the shadows to show up using ambient occlusion but like the Automotive Genesis Sample file, I cannot get the shadows to live update when transforming the parts, For example if I move the Car in the sample scene, the ground shadow automatically moved but this does not happen to my own scene. Anything I should do differently?

Thanks

Message 4 of 9
dawn_mcardle

You're welcome.  You need to group the shadow under your vehicle.

Also- you can adjust the darkness and color of the shadow color by adjusting the Occlusion Color of the Shadow Material.

Message 5 of 9
dawn_mcardle

I mean group the ShadowPlane in your Scenegraph.

Message 6 of 9
ankishu2000

Thanks a bunch! This solved the issue. Should allow me to create renders faster now and not have to activate Ray-tracing just to see what the shadows might look like.
Message 7 of 9
dawn_mcardle

Here's a good video tutorial on AO:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/VREDPRODUCTS/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-3A30EB0A-C279-4AFD-A1B7-7C9299400205

I saw an even better one that explains what and why for interior settings.  If I can find it, I'll post.

Message 8 of 9
ankishu2000

Awesome, very informative video! Thanks again.
Message 9 of 9
piaorou

Thanks a lot.

It's very informative to know transparent materials are taken care of, which has an advantage to no need worrying about the glass materials but a disadvange to take extra work for temporary change the shadow plane to solid material in order to get the right occlusion.

And also important to hide the environment sphere before calculating ambient occlusion.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report