Community
VRED Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s VRED Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular VRED topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rendering from Python

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
daland4fvx
1054 Views, 6 Replies

Rendering from Python

Hello everyone, 

I have a python question about raytraced rendering command line style.  The reason is I would like to run Vred on our Farm which is controlled by

Deadline.   I am aware of the Render Que in Vred, but would rather have Vred renders managed by Deadline.

I am looking for a python call that will render individual frames.  It looks like renderAnimation() is the closest thing I can find. 

Has anyone been sucessfull using Deadline or Cube or any other render managers  with Vred?

thanks!

david

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
richardlevene
in reply to: daland4fvx

I tried to use this back in the begining of vred. You would have to create a sequence within the vred file and then with python you can call the scene file and use the a python command to run all sequences. But sequences are a bitch to create. I am not sure now if it is possible to run things that you have listed in render queue. I have not looked into this for a while.

But it would be good if you just set your render queue up per scene and then there is a python call to run render queue. Need to look a the vred python docs for the commands.

Richard

Message 3 of 7

runAllRenderJobs() is the python command to run everything in the render queue so you could set those render queue sets up and then create a custom deadline plugin to run a command.

call "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\VREDPro-7.52\Bin\WIN64\VREDPro.exe" -nogui -postpython "runAllRenderJobs()" "scene_path\vred_file.vpb"

Message 4 of 7
daland4fvx
in reply to: richardlevene

Sorry for the late reply.  Thank you very much Richard, I'll give it a whirl.

-david

Message 5 of 7
richardlevene
in reply to: daland4fvx

Hi David,

Since then Pipeline FX Qube Render Manager released a statement saying they now support Vred. They teamed up with the Vred team for it.

http://www.awn.com/news/pipelinefx-s-qube-first-render-manager-support-autodesk-s-vred

I met them at Autodesk University in Vegas and spoke with them about it.

The guy did not know too much about Vred itself, as I was asking how the vred file is meant to be set up in order for Cube to submit the render. But it seemed on first glance at their submission GUI that it allows you to select the camera in your vred scene, and then set certain render settings.

So my guess is the submitter just feeds certain render flags via the command line and it renders whatever is in the scene.

However I am not sure how it plays with render layers and what is in your render queue.

Need to download a trial of Qube and see.

The Deadline team were also at AU and they said the Vred team had been in contact and they were looking to support Vred.

Richard

Message 6 of 7
mjnowen
in reply to: richardlevene

FYI. For anyone following this thread, Thinkbox Software added 2 x VRED plugins in Deadline v7.1.0.35 (5th May 2015)

VRED (stills, animation, render queue) - integrated submitter & monitor submitter

http://docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/products/deadline/7.2/1_User%20Manual/manual/app-vred.html

VRED Cluster (reserving job type) - monitor submitter

http://docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/products/deadline/7.2/1_User%20Manual/manual/app-vred-cluster.html

Message 7 of 7
Bob.Bon2000
in reply to: mjnowen

You can speak to vred from external python api once u start it up so really u can script in anything... Open scene, get details, set details etc etc. But yeah to get that u need vreed and scene running... Or some exporter that would store that data that then u can load in ur render manager and specify what to do... 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report