Community
VRED Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s VRED Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular VRED topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDR lighting in VRED

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
llersch
1960 Views, 6 Replies

HDR lighting in VRED

Hey guys,

I'm having problems setting up HDR lighting in VRED.

Does anybody have a link to a real good tutorial?

The ones I checked from VRED don't really explain the thing to me.

I'm a student and real beginner in 3D software.

Also it would be nice to have some tutorials or documentation on the new features VRED Pro 2015, e.g. environment switch material and layered material ...

Maybe a good idea for Autodesk to do some.?!

Thanks for your help,

Leon

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
dawn_mcardle
in reply to: llersch

Not exactly what you're looking for, but maybe this will help:

There is a discussion regarding layered vs. multipass materials here:  https://www.linkedin.com/groups/Does-anybody-know-which-is-6541437.S.5910329073778855936?trk=groups_...

(LinkedIn VRED group)

Switch(es) let you switch between different options, which can be useful when you set up Variants.  For example: Drag multiple car paints under a Material Switch to show different color options.  (must Assign Switch to geometry) Double-click to apply/show each color option.

Also, I will be hosting a webinar tomorrow to show what's new/different in 2015.  You can register here:

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5101447341223529474

For HDR lighting, just drag an .hdri image from the folder where it exists onto your dome and click Add. It should show up in your Renderview after a few seconds.  You can edit it's properties in the Material Editor.  If your geometry doesn't reflect the new environment, Right-click on the .hdr image > Apply Env. to All Materials.  This automatically supplies the lighting, as does the default black/white dome.  In 2015, there are a bunch of Environment Assets pre-created- just drag one out onto your Renderview.

Message 3 of 7
llersch
in reply to: dawn_mcardle

Hey Dawn,

thanks a lot for your answer.

I will check the links you gave me and of course follow your webinar!

It's a shame you don't do one on the HDR lighting topic ...

My problem is the editing of the environments/ HDRIs in the material properties.

I want to set up a car cgi with motion blur.

I saw a tutorial on YouTube where the motion blur is created with the car in a HDR environment without a backplate in the scene.

Has the HDR environment in this case to be a dome or a sphere environment?

I also tried to add some extra lighting to the HDRI in HDR Light Studio.

When I load the HDRI as background into HDRLS it gets blurred.

Probably the editing of the properties of environments and HDRIs is simular to the one in other 3D software and I could find more tutorials about this..?

Thanks again for your help and maybe you have some more useful advices on my IBL problem just described.

Message 4 of 7
richardlevene

Hi Leon,

You kind find lots of tutorials for Vred and what is new in 2015 here:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/VREDPRODUCTS/2015/ENU/

In regards to your HDR lighting issues what do you actually want to do?

You say you want to set up a car with motion blur? So you want to motion blur the wheels of the car?

For the HDR Light Studio issue you are seeing with the blurring, this is because the live update of the HDR from HDRLS is only at a small preview resolution. This allows for fast updating when you want to interactively light with HDRLS. Once you are happy with the placement of the lights you want to press the Render button in HDRLS. This will save out the full res hdr map and you will no longer see a blurred version of the map in Vred.

Let me know if this helps.

Best,

Richard

Message 5 of 7
dawn_mcardle

You could animate the CenterY attribute of your .hdri and if it's a road, the road will appear to be moving (this way, you can turn on motion blur and the vehicle remains in focus).  Or you could animate the vehicle's translation.

Message 6 of 7
llersch
in reply to: dawn_mcardle

Hey Dawn and Richard,

thanks for your great support on my problems.

You really saved my "3D life"!

@dawn 

you should promote the webinars you made with michael for linkage more, to help other "newbies" like me.

They are excellent.

@richard 

thanks for the link to the autodesk fundamental training and most of all the advice for the HDRLS problem.

I asked Lightmap support the same question some days ago, but they don't feel obliged to answer.

Good to know, there are experts like you who share their knowledge willingly!

Message 7 of 7
Segasby

Hi llersch

Sorry you did not get an answer from our support. What email address did you email? support@hdrlightstudio.com. I have been looking for an email around that timescale about your issue and can't see one here. We generally answer support emails within a few hours during office hours. So am surprised you didnt get an email back.

Richards answer was perfect and is exatly what we would have said, thanks Richard!

Regards

Mark Segasby

Lightmap CEO

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report