Community
VRED Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s VRED Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular VRED topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAD import performance

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
joulsoun
410 Views, 1 Reply

CAD import performance

There are a few rough edges regarding the CAD importing performance that could be greatly improved.

1. Threading. Take for example a big assembly from CATIA, I can import this in at least 3 ways:

a) Monolithic CATpart. This is single-threaded as far as I can see

b) One CATproduct referencing many catparts. This is single-threaded as far as I can see

c) Split into multiple CATparts. This is multi-threaded if imported via Import -> CAD Data. Single-threaded if imported through 'Add...'.

To me, it's basically all the same data, just stuffed together in different ways, so in a perfect world I would like to see them all being multi-threaded. Right now it's kind of a workflow issue that we need to flatten CATIA structures down so that we can save down separate CATparts. The import time otherwise is many hours for heavy CAD data, sometimes pushing into overnight imports.

2. DirectConnect. We use a lot of JT-format files also. The new Direct Connect import is superslow, a MAGNITUDE slower than the old import AT LEAST. We uncheck the Direct Connect feature immediately, it is NOT useable at the moment for real world CAD data.

3. Memory. I've seen the aruba.exe process kill my 64 GB RAM workstation when trying to import monolithic CAD data files. I have no idea whatsoever why it would need to retain that much memory, since it should be able to work on separate parts of the CAD data fairly disconnected, and free memory when done on those parts.

Cheers,
Jens

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
tmielcl
in reply to: joulsoun

Hello,

here the same.

Importing heavy CAD-Data is almost useless, if you have to clean them out in V5 first. I can't understand, why such a critical function is single-threaded. We've got VERY expensive workstations here and they're boring themselves to death while importing only a, let's say, a seat from a cat-product.

How can we improve the import workflow to a bearable time?

Best regards, Clemens

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report