Visualization

Valued Contributor
nannerdw
Message 1 of 3 (826 Views)
Accepted Solution

Japanese characters not displaying properly

826 Views, 2 Replies
10-22-2012 06:10 AM

I have a dwg file with all of the text encoded in the Shift-JIS character set.  It contains only a few Japanese characters, and the rest appear to be the Shift-JIS equivalents of Roman characters.

Now I'm just trying to set the text style in AutoCAD to make it show up correctly.  I've tried Big Font: extfont.shx and extfont2.shx, but neither one works.

The text in this file should read "DWG. NO." (confirmed by copying it into Notepad++, and changing its encoding to Shift-JIS)

-Using Autodesk Inventor Professional 2012
Valued Contributor
nannerdw
Message 2 of 3 (796 Views)

Re: Japanese characters not displaying properly

11-19-2012 01:27 PM in reply to: nannerdw

I found a workaround to this problem.  Here's what I did, for anyone else who might be having this same issue:

You have to use a text editor that’s capable of re-encoding into a different character set.

I’m using Notepad++ (Unicode version), which you can download here.

Open the DXF file in Notepad++

Go to Encoding > Character Sets > Japanese > Shift-JIS

Edit: Select All

Copy

File: New

Paste into the new file (This will convert all of the English characters from Shift-JIS back to their ANSI equivalents)

File: Save

Open the new file in AutoCAD (All of the English characters should now show up normally, and Japanese characters will show up as question marks.)

Note:

This solution will not work for files in DWG format.  They must be saved to DXF first.

Valued Contributor
nannerdw
Message 3 of 3 (782 Views)

Re: Japanese characters not displaying properly

11-20-2012 05:37 AM in reply to: nannerdw

Also, this only works with files saved as DXF 2004 or older.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.