Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2014 Geolocation not right?

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
Anonymous
651 Views, 0 Replies

AutoCAD 2014 Geolocation not right?

I'm working with the Geolocation in 2014 and ran across something that doesn't make sense to me. I have a handful of buildings that are interconnected, but the drawings are broken out separately by building and floor. I am trying to "reconnect" the drawings by XREF-ing by Geolocation, but after setting the Geolocation point on my individual drawings the features do not align correctly from one building to the next.

Example. Two of the buildings are connected by a short hallway. The drawing for Building 1 does not contain any of the hallway walls and only shows the fire doors going into the hallway. The drawing for Building 2 contains the hallway walls as well as the same fire doors going into Building 1. If I XREF the two drawings together not using Geolocation I can shift the XREF features so that the fire doors align exactly on top of each other. If I use Geolocation to XREF then the fire doors in Building 2 end up misaligned to the fire doors in Building 1 by some 11 feet.

At first, I was defining a separate Geolocation point for each drawing - I used the southwest corner of each building since that was an easy point to get a lat/long on. I am using my local State Plane coordinate system and have been taking the lat/long values from a geospatial version of my CAD drawings where the fire doors do align correctly in ArcGIS, so I am pretty confident the values are correct.

I figured there could still be a minor error I wasn't catching, so I changed to defining the exact same Geolocation point in each drawing, but I am still seeing the same alignment error. By "exact same Geolocation point," I mean that I did the following:

[1] Set the Geolocation point of Building 1 to the southwest corner of the building.

[2] XREF Building 1 into the Building 2 drawing NOT by Geolocation and then shift XREF to align correctly at fire doors.

[3] Set Geolocation point of Building 2 to the correctly aligned southwest corner of Building 1.

[4] Detach XREF and save all drawings.

[5] Reopen Building 1 and XREF by Geolocation Building 2.

Since both drawings are now using the same, common Geolocation point (the southwest corner of Building 1) I expected the two drawings to align correctly, but they don't. I still get the same 11 foot error in alignment.

Anybody have any thoughts or ideas on why this is happening?

NOTE: I am on a disconnected network, so I can not share examples.

Thanks.

Bill Dickinson

Exceptional Software Strategies (Baltimore, MD)

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost