Visual LISP, AutoLISP and General Customization
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is the lisp programmer user guide?!

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
RWBoltz
777 Views, 10 Replies

Where is the lisp programmer user guide?!

Can anyone tell me how to obtain a downloadable AutoLISP programmer's guide?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
mmoolhuysen
in reply to: RWBoltz

Spoiler

Have you looked at the AutoLISP Tutorial section under the help button of the AutoCAD program? If you copy the conteince of map c:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2012 - English\Help\ (burn it on a CD for instance), youmight be able to browse the help system on another computer rtaht has no AutoCAD installed.Open the file index.html to begin.

Message 3 of 11
alanjt_
in reply to: mmoolhuysen

Message 4 of 11
RWBoltz

OK, look... here's a PDF of the 2012 AutoLISP Programmer's Guide available from Autodesk for MAC users:

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACDMAC/2012/ENU/PDFs/acdmac_2012_autolisp_developers_guide.pdf

Is there one available for PC users, or is it the same?  I can't believe it's this difficult to find.

Message 5 of 11
alanjt_
Message 6 of 11
alanjt_
in reply to: alanjt_
Message 7 of 11
RWBoltz
in reply to: alanjt_

That one is for Acad 2000 - looking for the current Guide, or most current... the closest I've found so far is for Acad 2007.  Can anyone verify if this is the last PDF available?

Message 8 of 11
alanjt_

Check the first link (2011). The 2000 reference is just the uses of the vl,vlr,vlax commands - nothing new since 2000.

Here's a pdf for 2011: http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/acad_dxf2.pdf

Message 9 of 11
Gordon_S

One of the really good resources is Ron Leigh's Autolisp programming site. Over a period of time, I copied the various 'lessons' to a single text file that I now access via NoteTab Light, a very useful (free) text editor with excellent search options and other bells and whistles. He has a large number of sensible examples and I have found it very helpful as a reference.

Try this site for yourself :

http://ronleigh.com/autolisp/index.htm

Message 10 of 11
RWBoltz
in reply to: Gordon_S

Thanks Gordon, I'll check out Ron Leigh's site.

Message 11 of 11
RWBoltz

OK, after 2 days of pursuit, I finally was able to speak with Stephen Preston, an ADN technician at Autodesk, who informed me that they've discontinued providing the AutoLISP Developer's Guide in PDF format (2010 being the last year available). Apparently the 2007 Guide (available by Google search) is current enough to use.  Old school programmers, like me, need hardcopy documentation to spill coffee on and rifle through while writing code, so I recommended to Stephen that it would be nice for future releases to include the ability to dump the full documentation to print, rather than the current page by page limitation. I get that it's expensive for Autodesk to produce hardcopy of their documentation, but when I'm using my paper and toner, you'd think they could be a bit more helpful ;o)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost