Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voice recognition

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
Anonymous
570 Views, 27 Replies

Voice recognition

Does anyone know how to make AutoCAD react to voice commands? Seems to me it would be a huge productivity feature.
27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Sounds like it'd be a huge annoyance to the person sitting next to you. :) It would probably work great for notes, but for anything else....??? The biggest question I have is, how would you draw, let's say, a line?? I'm guessing, to draw a line from 0,0,0 to 100,100,0 it would be something like this. LINE ENTER ZERO COMMA ZERO COMMA ZERO ENTER ONE HUNDRED COMMA ONE HUNDRED COMMA ZERO ENTER In other words... How would you tell AutoCAD where to START the line?? You'd have to say the coordinates!! Am I right?? -- Matt W The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. "Len Nobel" wrote in message news:40e57eb8$1_2@newsprd01... | Does anyone know how to make AutoCAD react to voice commands? | Seems to me it would be a huge productivity feature. | |
Message 3 of 28
Anonymous

Back in the day, a long, long, way too long, time ago there was a product, I believe from Dragon Systems (but my memory aint what it used to be), that had a card for voice recognition that would work. It could be used to start commands and could recognize maybe 30 commands. I knew a couple of people that tried it and found it more annoying than helpful. Now that computers are faster and more powerful, there may be newer products that would work better.
Message 4 of 28
Anonymous

Well, I'm alone with my computer. I just envisioned giving the initial command by voice, like Line, Copy, Rotate etc. The follow-up would still be by input device. "Matt W" wrote in message news:40e581ed$1_3@newsprd01... > Sounds like it'd be a huge annoyance to the person sitting next to you. :) > > It would probably work great for notes, but for anything else....??? > The biggest question I have is, how would you draw, let's say, a line?? > > I'm guessing, to draw a line from 0,0,0 to 100,100,0 it would be something > like this. > > LINE > ENTER > ZERO COMMA ZERO COMMA ZERO > ENTER > ONE HUNDRED COMMA ONE HUNDRED COMMA ZERO > ENTER > > In other words... How would you tell AutoCAD where to START the line?? > You'd have to say the coordinates!! > Am I right?? > > -- > Matt W > > The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. > "Len Nobel" wrote in message news:40e57eb8$1_2@newsprd01... > | Does anyone know how to make AutoCAD react to voice commands? > | Seems to me it would be a huge productivity feature. > | > | > >
Message 5 of 28
old-cadaver

DRAGON "NaturallySpeaking" can be "taught AutoCAD commands fairly easily, but the response time on even the best setup is agonizingly slow. A friend of mine broke her neck in an automobile accident several years ago, and she's been using a modified version of Dragon for a couple of years. With very heavy customization, geared specifically for what she produces, she has become extremely productive. But then she has more patience than I.
Message 6 of 28
Anonymous

[Yikes] Again! Why not have it linked to our brains...? If you want to be productive, customize, customize, and then customize. Forget about voice commands, thats for Star Trekies... "Len Nobel" wrote in message news:40e57eb8$1_2@newsprd01... > Does anyone know how to make AutoCAD react to voice commands? > Seems to me it would be a huge productivity feature. > >
Message 7 of 28
Anonymous

Rudy, you supprised me. Isn't voice recognition just another customization technique? Dave Alexander Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. "Rudy Tovar" wrote in message news:40e59b06$1_2@newsprd01... > [Yikes] Again! > > Why not have it linked to our brains...? > > If you want to be productive, customize, customize, and then customize. > > Forget about voice commands, thats for Star Trekies... > > > > > "Len Nobel" wrote in message news:40e57eb8$1_2@newsprd01... > > Does anyone know how to make AutoCAD react to voice commands? > > Seems to me it would be a huge productivity feature. > > > > > >
Message 8 of 28
Anonymous

There was a joke about this a long time ago when voice recognition software was first out. The biggest reason not get voice recognition software for AutoCAD? All it would take is someone running down the center of the office yelling, "ERASE - ALL - QSAVE - QSAVE" "Len Nobel" wrote in message news:40e57eb8$1_2@newsprd01... > Does anyone know how to make AutoCAD react to voice commands? > Seems to me it would be a huge productivity feature. > >
Message 9 of 28
Anonymous

He's afraid someone like me would sneak up behind him and holler Erase All Quicksave Quit. Murph (I would do it to, maybe not to Rudy but to a few ppls) "Dave Alexander" wrote in message news:40e5b60b$1_2@newsprd01... > Rudy, you supprised me. > > Isn't voice recognition just another customization technique? > > Dave Alexander > Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. > > > "Rudy Tovar" wrote in message > news:40e59b06$1_2@newsprd01... > > [Yikes] Again! > > > > Why not have it linked to our brains...? > > > > If you want to be productive, customize, customize, and then customize. > > > > Forget about voice commands, thats for Star Trekies... > > > > > > > > > > "Len Nobel" wrote in message > news:40e57eb8$1_2@newsprd01... > > > Does anyone know how to make AutoCAD react to voice commands? > > > Seems to me it would be a huge productivity feature. > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 10 of 28
Anonymous

You beat me to it.(I should of refreshed quicker) Murph "dth" <...> wrote in message news:40e5bb03$1_1@newsprd01... > There was a joke about this a long time ago when voice recognition software > was first out. > > The biggest reason not get voice recognition software for AutoCAD? > > All it would take is someone running down the center of the office yelling, > "ERASE - ALL - QSAVE - QSAVE" > > "Len Nobel" wrote in message news:40e57eb8$1_2@newsprd01... > > Does anyone know how to make AutoCAD react to voice commands? > > Seems to me it would be a huge productivity feature. > > > > > >
Message 11 of 28
Anonymous

Customizing what? your voice? "Computer, hello computer..." Hitting one key or two, is better than barking out each command. Let's see...brain...nerves...hand...key = less than a second. On the other hand or mouth...brain...breath...soundout...dagit I said 'LINE' not "MLINE".. "Cancel"...computer Process speach...[...man I'm getting thirsty...] command entered...[enter]...pick...5 seconds... Customize that... -- Rudy@Cadentity.com AUTODESK Authorized Developer http://www.Cadentity.com MASi "Dave Alexander" wrote in message news:40e5b60b$1_2@newsprd01... > Rudy, you supprised me. > > Isn't voice recognition just another customization technique? > > Dave Alexander > Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. > > > "Rudy Tovar" wrote in message > news:40e59b06$1_2@newsprd01... > > [Yikes] Again! > > > > Why not have it linked to our brains...? > > > > If you want to be productive, customize, customize, and then customize. > > > > Forget about voice commands, thats for Star Trekies... > > > > > > > > > > "Len Nobel" wrote in message > news:40e57eb8$1_2@newsprd01... > > > Does anyone know how to make AutoCAD react to voice commands? > > > Seems to me it would be a huge productivity feature. > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 12 of 28
Anonymous

"Len Nobel" wrote in message news:40e58794$1_1@newsprd01... > Well, I'm alone with my computer. I just envisioned giving the initial > command by voice, > like Line, Copy, Rotate etc. The follow-up would still be by input device. That is what I have always envisoned. Open, Close, Save, Line, Erase. Another small retreat for the venerable keyboard shortcut ;) Gordon
Message 13 of 28
Anonymous

this is definitely the most interesting and comical subject to date. i laughed out loud after having read, "All it would take is someone running down the center of the office yelling, "ERASE - ALL - QSAVE - QSAVE".. happy 4th everyone and have a safe holiday! "Murph" wrote in message news:40e5bb62$1_3@newsprd01... > You beat me to it.(I should of refreshed quicker) > > Murph > "dth" <...> wrote in message news:40e5bb03$1_1@newsprd01... > > There was a joke about this a long time ago when voice recognition > software > > was first out. > > > > The biggest reason not get voice recognition software for AutoCAD? > > > > All it would take is someone running down the center of the office > yelling, > > "ERASE - ALL - QSAVE - QSAVE" > > > > "Len Nobel" wrote in message > news:40e57eb8$1_2@newsprd01... > > > Does anyone know how to make AutoCAD react to voice commands? > > > Seems to me it would be a huge productivity feature. > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 14 of 28
Anonymous

Having a bad day today Rudy? No worse than having to learn all those damn short cut keys. Dave Alexander Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. www.keen.ca "Rudy Tovar" wrote in message news:40e5c260$1_3@newsprd01... > Customizing what? your voice? > > "Computer, hello computer..." > > Hitting one key or two, is better than barking out each command. > > Let's see...brain...nerves...hand...key = less than a second. > > On the other hand or mouth...brain...breath...soundout...dagit I said 'LINE' > not "MLINE".. "Cancel"...computer Process speach...[...man I'm getting > thirsty...] command entered...[enter]...pick...5 seconds... > > Customize that... > -- > Rudy@Cadentity.com > AUTODESK > Authorized Developer > http://www.Cadentity.com > MASi > > > > > > > > "Dave Alexander" wrote in message > news:40e5b60b$1_2@newsprd01... > > Rudy, you supprised me. > > > > Isn't voice recognition just another customization technique? > > > > Dave Alexander > > Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. > > > > > > "Rudy Tovar" wrote in message > > news:40e59b06$1_2@newsprd01... > > > [Yikes] Again! > > > > > > Why not have it linked to our brains...? > > > > > > If you want to be productive, customize, customize, and then customize. > > > > > > Forget about voice commands, thats for Star Trekies... > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > "Len Nobel" wrote in message > > news:40e57eb8$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > Does anyone know how to make AutoCAD react to voice commands? > > > > Seems to me it would be a huge productivity feature. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 15 of 28
Anonymous

What's so hard about learn a simple one or two key stroke? And no I'm not having a bad day, but it's silly to get into something that doesn't really account for productivity. It's more of a toy than for anything that can't be handled by a good programmer. I thought you were a professional. "Dave Alexander" wrote in message news:40e5d669$1_1@newsprd01... > Having a bad day today Rudy? > > No worse than having to learn all those damn short cut keys. > > Dave Alexander > Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. > www.keen.ca > > > > > "Rudy Tovar" wrote in message > news:40e5c260$1_3@newsprd01... > > Customizing what? your voice? > > > > "Computer, hello computer..." > > > > Hitting one key or two, is better than barking out each command. > > > > Let's see...brain...nerves...hand...key = less than a second. > > > > On the other hand or mouth...brain...breath...soundout...dagit I said > 'LINE' > > not "MLINE".. "Cancel"...computer Process speach...[...man I'm getting > > thirsty...] command entered...[enter]...pick...5 seconds... > > > > Customize that... > > -- > > Rudy@Cadentity.com > > AUTODESK > > Authorized Developer > > http://www.Cadentity.com > > MASi > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > "Dave Alexander" wrote in message > > news:40e5b60b$1_2@newsprd01... > > > Rudy, you supprised me. > > > > > > Isn't voice recognition just another customization technique? > > > > > > Dave Alexander > > > Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. > > > > > > > > > "Rudy Tovar" wrote in message > > > news:40e59b06$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > [Yikes] Again! > > > > > > > > Why not have it linked to our brains...? > > > > > > > > If you want to be productive, customize, customize, and then > customize. > > > > > > > > Forget about voice commands, thats for Star Trekies... > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > "Len Nobel" wrote in message > > > news:40e57eb8$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > > Does anyone know how to make AutoCAD react to voice commands? > > > > > Seems to me it would be a huge productivity feature. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 16 of 28
old-cadaver

<
It's more of a toy than for anything that can't be handled by a good programmer.

I thought you were a professional. >>

hmmm... spoken like someone who has full use of both hands.

I have a friend, who is paralyzed from the mid-chest down, has no fine motor control of her hands and fingers, and she considers voice recognition considerably more than a toy. A keystroke on a keyboard is massively more difficult when using a wand taped to your wrist, or held in a mouthpiece.

Not only does she view herself to be a professional, but so do most of us who've worked with her over the last 8 years.
Message 17 of 28
Anonymous

Rudy, I am just supprised by your dismissal of a tool just because the application of which you don't see any value in or agree with. That's all. Everyone uses a different set of customization tools including me. I don't use short cut keys but I also don't say that they shouldn't be used because they are just a hold over from the old Dos Games either. I am just a guy trying to make a living doing the best I can and helping where I can. Dave Alexander Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. www.keen.ca "Rudy Tovar" wrote in message news:40e5da17$1_3@newsprd01... > What's so hard about learn a simple one or two key stroke? > > And no I'm not having a bad day, but it's silly to get into something that > doesn't really account for productivity. > > It's more of a toy than for anything that can't be handled by a good > programmer. > > I thought you were a professional. > > > "Dave Alexander" wrote in message > news:40e5d669$1_1@newsprd01... > > Having a bad day today Rudy? > > > > No worse than having to learn all those damn short cut keys. > > > > Dave Alexander > > Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. > > www.keen.ca > > > > > > > > > > "Rudy Tovar" wrote in message > > news:40e5c260$1_3@newsprd01... > > > Customizing what? your voice? > > > > > > "Computer, hello computer..." > > > > > > Hitting one key or two, is better than barking out each command. > > > > > > Let's see...brain...nerves...hand...key = less than a second. > > > > > > On the other hand or mouth...brain...breath...soundout...dagit I said > > 'LINE' > > > not "MLINE".. "Cancel"...computer Process speach...[...man I'm getting > > > thirsty...] command entered...[enter]...pick...5 seconds... > > > > > > Customize that... > > > -- > > > Rudy@Cadentity.com > > > AUTODESK > > > Authorized Developer > > > http://www.Cadentity.com > > > MASi > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > "Dave Alexander" wrote in message > > > news:40e5b60b$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > Rudy, you supprised me. > > > > > > > > Isn't voice recognition just another customization technique? > > > > > > > > Dave Alexander > > > > Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. > > > > > > > > > > > > "Rudy Tovar" wrote in message > > > > news:40e59b06$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > > [Yikes] Again! > > > > > > > > > > Why not have it linked to our brains...? > > > > > > > > > > If you want to be productive, customize, customize, and then > > customize. > > > > > > > > > > Forget about voice commands, thats for Star Trekies... > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > "Len Nobel" wrote in message > > > > news:40e57eb8$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > > > Does anyone know how to make AutoCAD react to voice commands? > > > > > > Seems to me it would be a huge productivity feature. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 18 of 28
Anonymous

I am really interested in this even though I too try to get people to type stuff. The fact is the more you can uload the mouse, the better. I think osnaps are THE perfect candidate for this type of thing. I would even be up for some kind of foot pedal that issues the osnap menu so I can then type the mnemonic letter. (I hate running osnaps...) I am suprised at the lack of variety of input devices for things like Acad. R&D must be too expensive for the market share... So take that Rudy! "Len Nobel" |>Does anyone know how to make AutoCAD react to voice commands? |>Seems to me it would be a huge productivity feature. |> James Maeding Civil Engineer/Programmer
Message 19 of 28
Anonymous

Let's not go in that direction. If the individual needs assistance I'm all for it. But for someone that just doesn't want to type it...comeon "OLD-CADaver" wrote in message news:4589379.1088806878233.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > < > It's more of a toy than for anything that can't be handled by a good programmer. > > I thought you were a professional. >> > > hmmm... spoken like someone who has full use of both hands. > > I have a friend, who is paralyzed from the mid-chest down, has no fine motor control of her hands and fingers, and she considers voice recognition considerably more than a toy. A keystroke on a keyboard is massively more difficult when using a wand taped to your wrist, or held in a mouthpiece. > > Not only does she view herself to be a professional, but so do most of us who've worked with her over the last 8 years.
Message 20 of 28
Anonymous

I'm not out to get you nor discredit you. I'm just voicing my opinion on using it. Remember we're talking about productivity, and not disability. "Does anyone know how to make AutoCAD react to voice commands? Seems to me it would be a huge productivity feature." No foul intended...sorry. "Dave Alexander" wrote in message news:40e5e498_2@newsprd01... > Rudy, > > I am just supprised by your dismissal of a tool just because the application > of which you don't see any value in or agree with. > That's all. > > Everyone uses a different set of customization tools including me. I don't > use short cut keys but I also don't say that they shouldn't be used because > they are just a hold over from the old Dos Games either. > > I am just a guy trying to make a living doing the best I can and helping > where I can. > > Dave Alexander > Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. > www.keen.ca > > "Rudy Tovar" wrote in message > news:40e5da17$1_3@newsprd01... > > What's so hard about learn a simple one or two key stroke? > > > > And no I'm not having a bad day, but it's silly to get into something that > > doesn't really account for productivity. > > > > It's more of a toy than for anything that can't be handled by a good > > programmer. > > > > I thought you were a professional. > > > > > > "Dave Alexander" wrote in message > > news:40e5d669$1_1@newsprd01... > > > Having a bad day today Rudy? > > > > > > No worse than having to learn all those damn short cut keys. > > > > > > Dave Alexander > > > Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. > > > www.keen.ca > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > "Rudy Tovar" wrote in message > > > news:40e5c260$1_3@newsprd01... > > > > Customizing what? your voice? > > > > > > > > "Computer, hello computer..." > > > > > > > > Hitting one key or two, is better than barking out each command. > > > > > > > > Let's see...brain...nerves...hand...key = less than a second. > > > > > > > > On the other hand or mouth...brain...breath...soundout...dagit I said > > > 'LINE' > > > > not "MLINE".. "Cancel"...computer Process speach...[...man I'm getting > > > > thirsty...] command entered...[enter]...pick...5 seconds... > > > > > > > > Customize that... > > > > -- > > > > Rudy@Cadentity.com > > > > AUTODESK > > > > Authorized Developer > > > > http://www.Cadentity.com > > > > MASi > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > "Dave Alexander" wrote in message > > > > news:40e5b60b$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > > Rudy, you supprised me. > > > > > > > > > > Isn't voice recognition just another customization technique? > > > > > > > > > > Dave Alexander > > > > > Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > "Rudy Tovar" wrote in message > > > > > news:40e59b06$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > > > [Yikes] Again! > > > > > > > > > > > > Why not have it linked to our brains...? > > > > > > > > > > > > If you want to be productive, customize, customize, and then > > > customize. > > > > > > > > > > > > Forget about voice commands, thats for Star Trekies... > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > "Len Nobel" wrote in message > > > > > news:40e57eb8$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > > > > Does anyone know how to make AutoCAD react to voice commands? > > > > > > > Seems to me it would be a huge productivity feature. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost